T500 Deck Height

Getting your blazingly fast Suzuki powerplant to perform even better!

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

srech77
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 75 Suzuki T500M Titan

T500 Deck Height

Post by srech77 »

Hey - does anyone happen to know the deck height of a factory 75 T500 Titan?

thanks -
tz375
Moto GP

Re: T500 Deck Height

Post by tz375 »

Every motor is slightly different due to manufacturing tolerances, so you will have to measure both sides to be sure - when the barrels come back.

Typically 500 and 750 seem to be around -0.5mm but don't take that as gospel. Check yours to be sure. Non of us knows what had been done to yours over the years or how tight the tolerances were.
srech77
Around the block

Post by srech77 »

tz375 wrote:Every motor is slightly different due to manufacturing tolerances, so you will have to measure both sides to be sure - when the barrels come back.

Typically 500 and 750 seem to be around -0.5mm but don't take that as gospel. Check yours to be sure. Non of us knows what had been done to yours over the years or how tight the tolerances were.
Okay thanks ... I will check them when the jugs come back, just wanted a reference point. Nothing has been done to mine other than a top end rebuild, and of course now I'll be doing the minor head resurfacing, copper gasket, and porting, but other than that, everything remains the same.

thanks -
ja-moo
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by ja-moo »

Just make sure you use old gaskets, and bolt down the cylinders, no heads of course.
Visiting from the "K" camp...........
srech77
Around the block

Post by srech77 »

ja-moo wrote:Just make sure you use old gaskets, and bolt down the cylinders, no heads of course.
Wouldn't it make more sense to use the new gaskets since those will be the ones I reassemble the engine with? Pretty sure I threw the old ones out after I took it apart ... I have a set of factory gaskets, and also some copper gaskets from cometic that should arrive shortly ... those are heads though, for the cylinders I only have an oem set that is new.
ConnerVT
Novice racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R (now), T500M (40 yrs ago)

Post by ConnerVT »

I believe the gaskets are just to protect the cylinders from damage from the bolts. And you don't wish to damage new gaskets, either.
srech77
Around the block

Post by srech77 »

ConnerVT wrote:I believe the gaskets are just to protect the cylinders from damage from the bolts. And you don't wish to damage new gaskets, either.
Makes sense .. appreciate the clarification. :)
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

If you use new gaskets and only tighten the barrels down lightly, the deck height will appear to be more than with old squashed gaskets fully torqued down.

You will be close enough though.
srech77
Around the block

Post by srech77 »

tz375 wrote:If you use new gaskets and only tighten the barrels down lightly, the deck height will appear to be more than with old squashed gaskets fully torqued down.

You will be close enough though.
It's probably what I'll have to do anyway ... don't really have a choice since I threw the old ones out :/
ja-moo
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by ja-moo »

Old gaskets because they are already compressed to their minimum thickness. That can make a couple of 1000ths difference. If you are using copper gaskets, then you won't get that compression. As I said before, junk in, junk out. I'm sure it wouldn't be a big deal for a street motor, but it's good to get the best measurements you can.
Visiting from the "K" camp...........
srech77
Around the block

Post by srech77 »

Ya, but this will be the base gasket, which is paper. To measure deck height I just need to install the cylinder, then put the piston at TDC, then measure any difference (+/-) between edge of the piston and top of cylinder ... head gasket won't come into play for that measurement.
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Correct. We're talking base gaskets. You can use and old head gasket to protect the machine surface as you bolt down the barrels if you wish.
srech77
Around the block

Post by srech77 »

tz375 wrote:Correct. We're talking base gaskets. You can use and old head gasket to protect the machine surface as you bolt down the barrels if you wish.
Right, thanks. But again, I don't have any old gaskets currently, just a new set of oem head/base gaskets, and a set of copper head gaskets, so something will have to work...