engineering squish heads

Getting your blazingly fast Suzuki powerplant to perform even better!

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

diamondj
Road race school

Re: engineering squish heads

Post by diamondj »

srech77 wrote:You'll get no disagreements from me on any of that ... it's more about what the bank account allows at the time, and I'm still working on squaring away the motor for now. If you have a place that sells the bronze bushings, please let me know. I've never been able to find them to this day for the T500 ... but if I decide to strip the bike down this winter, I would love to be able to put some of those in the swingarm.

thanks - sr
Understood. Never enough money and time. Parts N More still has them on their website:

http://www.partsnmore.com/parts/suzuki/t500/

But the price has definitely gone up over the years as recall them being $40 a set not that long ago! You still need to finish ream them once they are in your swing-arm too.

Jim
srech77
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 75 Suzuki T500M Titan

Post by srech77 »

diamondj wrote:
srech77 wrote:You'll get no disagreements from me on any of that ... it's more about what the bank account allows at the time, and I'm still working on squaring away the motor for now. If you have a place that sells the bronze bushings, please let me know. I've never been able to find them to this day for the T500 ... but if I decide to strip the bike down this winter, I would love to be able to put some of those in the swingarm.

thanks - sr
Understood. Never enough money and time. Parts N More still has them on their website:

http://www.partsnmore.com/parts/suzuki/t500/

But the price has definitely gone up over the years as recall them being $40 a set not that long ago! You still need to finish ream them once they are in your swing-arm too.

Jim
Thanks Jim - however, I just tried to order a set and got this message (Products marked with × are out of stock or there are not enough in stock to fill your order.
Please change the quantity of products marked with (×). Thank you)

So that's a bummer. I was really excited to see some of those bushings. For some reason, I don't feel like they'll be getting any in soon ... we'll see. Just got my new alloy wheel trued and on the bike last night, looks nice.

If anyone hears of any bronze bushings coming up anywhere, make sure and post about it.

sterling
Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Post by Suzukidave »

I checked Ebay and there wasnt a listing for the T500 but they did list others .. i wonder if there is a cross fit with any of these other model bikes http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... s&_sacat=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the older i get the faster i was
diamondj
Road race school

Post by diamondj »

srech77 wrote:Thanks Jim - however, I just tried to order a set and got this message (Products marked with × are out of stock or there are not enough in stock to fill your order.

So that's a bummer. I was really excited to see some of those bushings. For some reason, I don't feel like they'll be getting any in soon ... we'll see. Just got my new alloy wheel trued and on the bike last night, looks nice.

If anyone hears of any bronze bushings coming up anywhere, make sure and post about it.

sterling
Hmmm... There's Diablo cycles out of Canada. I've dealt with them in a previous form - Reproduction Decals - and they were good then. More expensive though plus you'll wait a while for them to get through customs from Canada:

http://www.diablocycle.com/Suzuki-Swing ... ronze.html

Mike's XS has a set of bronze bushings for the XS650 that are a nice price. I need to dig out a set of T500 bushings and see if they are a similar size:

https://www.mikesxs.net/product/28-1024.html

XS650 bushings:
Length 40mm
ID 22mm
OD 28mm
Collar thickness 2.6mm
Collar OD 34mm

An alternate route maybe to experiment with roller bearings as a replacement. Oldjapanesebikes on this board did just that with his GT750:

http://www.oldjapanesebikes.com/1973_GT ... Conversion

Jim
jeff kushner
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: none

Post by jeff kushner »

Sterling,

The heads look fantastic. I take it that Kelsey took good care of you? Your build looks great too! I always loved my Titan and it's on the list of bikes to get in the future. I had a highly modded one back in the day and more recently, a non-titled GT500 but sold it to a gent who was taking it across the ocean when I had too many projects in front of it. The engine is a beast and it doesn't take much massaging to get pretty decent numbers from it.

I understand cost issues as well as all of us but you may be able to find a set on fleabay from a more modern bike with the same height and connections that wouldn't set you back too far. The problem with sagged shocks is that at speed, even at 50mph it's going to wallow, especially in the turns. You def want to replace the swingarm bushings...you'll be surprised by the difference and it's a piece of cake with the right drifts.

Good job, looking forward to seeing it completed.

jeff
Present: VStrom 1000 K7, Stock: '74 RD350,’75 GT550,'76 CB400F, '75 H2(purple), Modded: ‘75 GT550 restored & ported, '82 Yamaha 650Turbo running 18PSI,'74 H2B carbs-pipes-ported, project list:'72 & 2-'75 H1's, '82 Yamaha XV920, 74 GT750
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

jeff kushner wrote:
The heads look fantastic. .................
I missed the pictures? Where are they posted?
diamondj
Road race school

Post by diamondj »

tz375 wrote:
jeff kushner wrote:
The heads look fantastic. .................
I missed the pictures? Where are they posted?
http://s1091.photobucket.com/user/sterl ... t=3&page=1
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Thanks Jim,

I missed that on the way through. Interesting cutting pattern. I have seen that approach somewhere else.
srech77
Around the block

Post by srech77 »

tz375 wrote:Thanks Jim,

I missed that on the way through. Interesting cutting pattern. I have seen that approach somewhere else.
They say it's their proprietary cutting pattern to aid in combustion efficiency and reduce the chance for detonation. I know it sure seems to run well with these heads. I've developed a small crack near the plug on the left head, appears to be a surface crack, maybe 1/4" in length. I've ran the bike with it for a little while and it hasn't gotten bigger, but I'm sure over time I'm just asking for a cracked head and a blowout on the road.

The guys at RK do very good work, though. I would go back to them again - they know their stuff when it comes to machining squish heads and 2-stroke performance.
Last edited by srech77 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
srech77
Around the block

Post by srech77 »

jeff kushner wrote:Sterling,

The heads look fantastic. I take it that Kelsey took good care of you? Your build looks great too! I always loved my Titan and it's on the list of bikes to get in the future. I had a highly modded one back in the day and more recently, a non-titled GT500 but sold it to a gent who was taking it across the ocean when I had too many projects in front of it. The engine is a beast and it doesn't take much massaging to get pretty decent numbers from it.

I understand cost issues as well as all of us but you may be able to find a set on fleabay from a more modern bike with the same height and connections that wouldn't set you back too far. The problem with sagged shocks is that at speed, even at 50mph it's going to wallow, especially in the turns. You def want to replace the swingarm bushings...you'll be surprised by the difference and it's a piece of cake with the right drifts.

Good job, looking forward to seeing it completed.

jeff
Thanks much Jeff - It's a very unique and fun bike to own. And trust me, upgrading the shocks and SA bushings is on the list ... just have to pace myself with money, you know how it is. I just got the front wheel converted to an 18" shouldered alloy, laced up and trued, and am waiting on the new rubber and tube to get here to put it on. Also had Mike and Cody at Steel Dragon Performance machine me some custom velocity stacks with screen inserts. I won't always run these, but I'm hoping I can run them once in a while for fun.
srech77
Around the block

Post by srech77 »

diamondj wrote:
srech77 wrote:Thanks Jim - however, I just tried to order a set and got this message (Products marked with × are out of stock or there are not enough in stock to fill your order.

sterling
Hmmm... There's Diablo cycles out of Canada. I've dealt with them in a previous form - Reproduction Decals - and they were good then. More expensive though plus you'll wait a while for them to get through customs from Canada:

http://www.diablocycle.com/Suzuki-Swing ... ronze.html

Mike's XS has a set of bronze bushings for the XS650 that are a nice price. I need to dig out a set of T500 bushings and see if they are a similar size:

XS650 bushings:
Length 40mm
ID 22mm
OD 28mm
Collar thickness 2.6mm
Collar OD 34mm

An alternate route maybe to experiment with roller bearings as a replacement. Oldjapanesebikes on this board did just that with his GT750:

http://www.oldjapanesebikes.com/1973_GT ... Conversion

Jim
Thanks for this post Jim - I might have to snag a pair from Diablo, these are definitely a must have for the old Titan. $77 is a bit steep, but in the end definitely worth it.

Although, if you are planning to compare the XS650 bushings with the T500, please put a post on here and let us know if they are the size ... can save a few bucks by buying those XS bushings domestically if possible.

Either way, let us know what you find out. I would like to get some of these in the swingarm this winter.
srech77
Around the block

Post by srech77 »

And not that anybody was asking, but in the event someone is curious ... the front and rear flanged alloy wheels were both originally intended for an XS650. They are both 18 inch with a 36 hole pattern (rear is from Heiden Tuning in the Netherlands, front is from Mike's XS) but as long as you get the right spoke set (18" for drum brakes) then they will lace up perfectly with the Titan hubs, and they look GREAT, and are super light. Rear - 2.15x18, front - 1.85x18.
diamondj
Road race school

Post by diamondj »

srech77 wrote: Mike's XS has a set of bronze bushings for the XS650 that are a nice price. I need to dig out a set of T500 bushings and see if they are a similar size:

XS650 bushings:
Length 40mm
ID 22mm
OD 28mm
Collar thickness 2.6mm
Collar OD 34mm

Although, if you are planning to compare the XS650 bushings with the T500, please put a post on here and let us know if they are the size ... can save a few bucks by buying those XS bushings domestically if possible.

Either way, let us know what you find out. I would like to get some of these in the swingarm this winter.
Dug out the T500 bushings I have and the dimensions are all the same according to my cheap harbor freight digital caliper EXCEPT the OD is 28.62mm. For the sake of completeness, the measurements I am getting are:

length 40mm
ID 22mm
OD 28.62mm
Collar thickness 2.82mm
Collar OD 34mm

So it seems like the XS650 bushings would work.

Jim
srech77
Around the block

Post by srech77 »

diamondj wrote:
srech77 wrote: Mike's XS has a set of bronze bushings for the XS650 that are a nice price. I need to dig out a set of T500 bushings and see if they are a similar size:

XS650 bushings:
Length 40mm
ID 22mm
OD 28mm
Collar thickness 2.6mm
Collar OD 34mm

Dug out the T500 bushings I have and the dimensions are all the same according to my cheap harbor freight digital caliper EXCEPT the OD is 28.62mm. For the sake of completeness, the measurements I am getting are:

length 40mm
ID 22mm
OD 28.62mm
Collar thickness 2.82mm
Collar OD 34mm

So it seems like the XS650 bushings would work.

Jim

Jim - thanks for getting the numbers comparison. Does it present any problems that the OD on the T500 bushings is slightly larger than the XS650 bushings? Or is it not enough to worry about potential play?

Thanks again -
diamondj
Road race school

Post by diamondj »

srech77 wrote:

Jim - thanks for getting the numbers comparison. Does it present any problems that the OD on the T500 bushings is slightly larger than the XS650 bushings? Or is it not enough to worry about potential play?

Thanks again -
I think the folks that had installed the parts n more bushings had to turn them down a bit to fit the frame. I have a bare frame so I guess the next step is to check the ID on the pivot hole.

Jim