How does a guy begin following the racing scene?

Information and stories pertaining to racing Suzuki two-strokes. Past and Present.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Cragdog
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550L, PE250B, RM250N

How does a guy begin following the racing scene?

Post by Cragdog »

Hey guys, how does a dude get into motorcycle racing? Kind of an odd question I guess, but I've loved motorcycles since I was 17, I'm 24 now, but I've never been exposed to the racing scene.. I'm curious where to start following the different classes, when races occur and how/where to watch? I've caught a couple euro races (superbike or gp? I dunno..) on Velocity channel early weekend mornings and it's awesome and I want more! Haha.. I watched the film "On Any Sunday" last night and a couple Ewan McGregor films that really grabbed my attention, I guess I just wanna know how to begin following motorcycle racing more closely?
Thanks for any help or suggestions. Sorry to bring up such a noobish request, but I just gotta know! Haha :mrgreen:
If you like it, then you should ride it.

1974 Suzuki GT550
1977 Suzuki PE250
1992 Suzuki RM250
1988 Yamaha YZ250
1970 Honda CB750 K0
GT750Battleship
Road race school
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suzuki GT750A 1976

Re: How does a guy begin following the racing scene?

Post by GT750Battleship »

:up: Hi,Cragdog,here's a few Web Sites to get you started.....
http://www.motogp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; 3 different classes of Factory racing bikes,World Championship MotoGP, Moto2 ,Moto 3,run over 19 rounds in 2014 in different parts of the World,parts of Spain & Portugal might get more than one race in the same year,due to the huge interest in Motorcycle Racing in these Countries !!
http://www.worldsbk.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; "Superbikes" are roughly based around road bikes,as far as looks go,but are highly tuned & have lots of special factory stuff,there are rules governing the number of cylinders & capacity,There are 14 rounds of this World Championship,with two Races held at each round,with a Supersport (600cc bikes) only 1 Race, held on the same day. You should see all the Championships on TV or cable/satellite in the US of A :?
Australia WSBK 23rd February 2014 (First Race On The Calendar)
GT750Battleship.
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Superbikeplanet.com is another place to keep up with the scuttlebutt.

For Vintage racing, check out AHRMA.org and WERA and see what events are close to you. The good thing about vintage racing is spending time in the pits chatting to racers and checking out the bikes.

For two stroke drag racing check out supereliminator.com. They race Kawasaki triples, Suzuki GT750s and Yamaha twins as a program within the regular program at some race tracks - typically Indy and Martin, MI
Cragdog
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550L, PE250B, RM250N

Post by Cragdog »

Great info! Thank you guys. I've seen a few guys on this site build threads for gt750 drag bikes and they look sick! Wish I lived closer to the action.. :?
If you like it, then you should ride it.

1974 Suzuki GT550
1977 Suzuki PE250
1992 Suzuki RM250
1988 Yamaha YZ250
1970 Honda CB750 K0