Vintage Motorcycle Days 2010

Information and stories pertaining to racing Suzuki two-strokes. Past and Present.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Zook-e
Smokin'

Vintage Motorcycle Days 2010

Post by Zook-e »

Looks like I can go next year. It won't interfear with my getting student apartments ready for the new school year at Virginia Tech. Since they had moved the date about 3 years ago, it was always hard for me to make it. Not this time. Hope to see you all there next year. So get your liscenses and bike and racing gear ready now.

http://roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=38367
"If you keep hitting your head against the wall you will eventually put a hole in the wall or your head"

1968 T500 Monoshock, 1972 GT750 Custom, 1973 GT750 Lemans

http://www.sundialmotosports.com
diamondj
Road race school

Post by diamondj »

So does this mean you'll be racing in 2010? Is your license still current? If not maybe you, Otis, CJF, and I could take a race school together. It would be nice to have a vintage Suzuki support group at race school...

Jim
desmocat
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500, TS250, B105P, GS250T

Post by desmocat »

I will be at Mid-O this year, AHRMA or not, which really doesnt matter to me. Now that I live in Detroit-metro area Mid-O is one of my local tracks, along with Grattan.

My T500 is race ready as is, last time I raced it was Sep 08 and did a track day at Laguna Seca in Dec 08; with the lightened crank and 36mm carbs it really screams. I do want to swap out the T500 swing arm for a GT380 swingarm that I have, it should quicken up steering by shortening the wheelbase.

So DiamondJ where do you propose doing the roadracing school at?
Ralph Spencer
Spencer Motoworks LLC
Southfield, MI USA
www.spencermotoworks.com
AHRMA #798
Zook-e
Smokin'

Post by Zook-e »

diamondj wrote:So does this mean you'll be racing in 2010? Is your license still current? If not maybe you, Otis, CJF, and I could take a race school together. It would be nice to have a vintage Suzuki support group at race school...

Jim
I just got lucky and renewed with AHRMA and made the two year cutoff for having to take a school by a couple of days. :D
"If you keep hitting your head against the wall you will eventually put a hole in the wall or your head"

1968 T500 Monoshock, 1972 GT750 Custom, 1973 GT750 Lemans

http://www.sundialmotosports.com
diamondj
Road race school

Post by diamondj »

desmocat wrote:So DiamondJ where do you propose doing the roadracing school at?
Ralph - is your license no longer current? Are you going to be taking race school somewhere?

WERA is offering race schools at all of their Northeast scheduled races for 2010:

Northeast

3/19-21 Virginia International Raceway, Alton, VA-rs,
4/10-11 Summit Point Raceway, Summit Point, WV-K,rs,
5/1-2 Nelson Ledges Road Course, Garrettsville, OH-rs,
6/12-13 Summit Point Raceway, Summit Point, WV-rs,
6/19-20 BeaveRun Motorsports Park, Wampum, PA-rs,

The tricky bit with WERA school is you have to track down Tommy D and get the school early so that you can race that day (vintage races are always on Saturday with WERA two day events). Tommy's reply to me was:
show up with your bike prepped ready to go and I'll get you through school in time to get racing that afternoon.We do this only for vintage so all of you guys that want to run solo 20's step back.The key for you is being nice to Anita the head registrar and the tech inspectors because you will have to pass school before you can be put on the grid.
Catch up with me #51 on fri. night and we'll make sure we have a plan in place.
In 2008 Apex2Apex offered a full day race license school at Beaver for $100 that was scheduled on the Friday before the June WERA race. This year they only offered the class in September.

USCRA usually offers a race school at their Vintage Celebration in May at New Hampshire speedway. In 2010 it's scheduled for May 21,22, & 23. Since May 23 is my wedding anniversary I doubt I can do this one! Although the missus is very supportive and might accept a New England getaway as our anniversary trip...

This year Tex Mawby on the Cafe Racer board put together the "All Revved Up Festival" at NJMP in June that offered a school for $199. If he puts the same deal together for 2010 prior to Mid-Ohio, I may go this route as NJMP is less than 2 hours away.

Jim
desmocat
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500, TS250, B105P, GS250T

Post by desmocat »

Jim,

My license is still current, I renewed with AHRMA last year. My last AHRMA race was April 2008 at Willow Springs so I should be okay. I did one race this year with SMRI in Albuquerque, but used my AHRMA license as a reciprocal.

For 2010 I will plan on doing some WERA races at Grattan and other venues within reasonable driving distance to the Detroit area.
Ralph Spencer
Spencer Motoworks LLC
Southfield, MI USA
www.spencermotoworks.com
AHRMA #798
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Has anyone seen the regs for 2010 Mid Ohio yet? I emailed AMA a few times and the belated answer I got was that they would get them out sometime "soon".

One might assume that the class structures would be the same as last year, but there's no guarantees with that organization.