Archived Posts

Information and stories pertaining to racing Suzuki two-strokes. Past and Present.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Off I go on Route 80 heading West. Wondering all the while:

a. Why does EVERY cargo van I've ever driven have such a vague, sloppy steering box? Even this brand new van I'm driving. Are these things built by the "wander-o-matic steering box" company or something????

b. Why the cheap S.O.B.'s that ordered these rental vans couldn't have sprung for more than an FM/AM radio? Or cruise control???? Too afraid I'd get comfortable and enjoy the ride????

I cross over the Delaware river at the "Gap" into Pennsylvania at the Del Water Gap toll bridge. Why is it you have to pay to get out of NJ at almost EVERY exit point? What is the Port Authority trying to say about New Jersey anyway????

The Pennsy exits run down from 300 something down to 1 right before you get to Ohio. I start counting them down as I begin my long journey through Pennsylvania on Route 80. 309 - 308 - 307- 306.... Then my cell phone rings. It's Jeff G. who lives in East Stroudsburg, PA. He asks me where I am. I tell him he must be psychic as I've just passed his exit!!! He tells me to get off at the next exit and turn left into the Exxon station. And there's Jeff G. with his pick-up and trailer loaded gassing up to head to Mid-Ohio! Great now I someone to drive out with.... We form up a convoy on route 80 and roll on through the night....

Jeff had been up since 4am that day so by the time we reach the other end of Pennsy, he's run out of steam and needs to stop. He pulls into the last rest stop in PA while I roll on by headed to Ohio. From 80 west onto 76 west then to 71 south. For some reason the 40 miles on 71 seems neverending. Maybe because it was past three in the morning by that point or just because I never remember Mansfield being that far into Ohio. Finally I roll up to the hotel in Mansfield. Park the van and stagger to the hotel lobby. A few minutes talking to the desk clerk to get my key and I fall into bed at 4:30 am..... Tomorrow (Today? Later this morning?) the track!
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Eugene took pity on me and waited until 8:30 to wake me up later that morning. A hot shower and lots of coffee at breakfast and I'm feeling more or less human again. Off to the track.

Getting into Mid-Ohio at anything other than the spectator level is always an adventure as the process seems to change from year to year. There's three gates with gate one the general admission gate, two the "will-call" gate, and three the "racer" gate. Last year I simply pulled up to gate three, had them check my name off the list, handed over $10, and got an all access armband and pit parking pass. Given the size of the event, the pit parking pass is worth it's weight (and then some) in gold. Unless you like the idea of lugging parts, tools, etc.. from the back 40 (acres) to the pit while being strafed by all types of minibikes and scooters on their own missions. Then by all means, park in the regular lot waaaaaayy down the aisle.

Sure enough, the rules had changed again this year and now after convincing them I really was there to help someone registered to race (Ralph was due in later that night) I got a three day pass and nothing else.... *SIGH* Off to exile in the outer 40.... Walking back toward the swap meet, I saw Eugene parking his XR350 along the main road with all the other motorcycles. Then as we continued along headed for the pit area to find the Albuquerque crew we are supposed to share pit space with, my cell phone rang. It was Geeto67! I had planned on driving out with Geeto and some of his crew only to be thwarted by my vehicle difficulties described above. He was standing about 100 yards away at the VJMC booth so we wandered over to say hello. We got to meet Geeto's dad as well.

Geeto decided to follow us over to find the pit space Ralph had arranged for us. After searching for a bit (and looking at all the other cool race machinery) we found our Albuquerque connection in the upper paddock area towards the corner of the fenced area closest to the bridge into the infield. Unfortunately, they must have not been the first on the scene as another racer from Colorado had grabbed the corner for his Mercedes transporter and Ducati 1098R. As a result the Albuquerque group were only able to set up one of their three canopies. Looks like we were going to get some sun this year regardless!

Meanwhile, the race bike was parked in the camping area where Eugene had dropped it and our friend Glenn off at his campsite. Eugene still had a small list of "to-do's" on the bike before we were ready. So we made our way over to the campground with a small detour into the swap meet.....

A few hours later we were at the campground and ready to work on the GT500. The plugs needed to be changed, the brakes pads needed changing, there was some safety wiring that needed to be done, and we had to fabricate an oil catch pad and holder for the bottom of the bike. Plus the throttle assembly needed some attention as the slides were not opening fully.....
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Time to break out the chicken wire :grin: !! Thanks for the posts...keep 'em coming. I almost feel like I'm there.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

In prepping and packing for this trip we all tried to account for what we would need. While we would be at the same track as the worlds LARGEST motorcycle swap meet, we felt we wouldn't have time to search through the swap meet for parts if we were missing something. With that in mind, Eugene asked me to bring a spare stock throttle. I had one and into the box it went. I ordered spare cables and got the clutch cables but the throttle cables were on back order. We brought spark plugs, tools, spare levers, etc... I threw in a spare master cylinder and braided brake line. Spare tires, tubes, and rim strips. And on and on. Ralph was bringing his box of carb spares plus some tools. We were trying to be prepared for any eventuality.... Fate loves to smack down those that think they are completely prepared.....

At the campsite, Glenn hung around for a bit to provide moral support and/or sarcastic remarks until one of his scheduled demo rides was due, then he was off to the demo area.

Eugene started in on the throttle. Seems the aftermarket 1/4 turn throttle is not allowing the carbs to open all the way. I'm pretty sure full throttle is high on the list of stuff needed by a race bike. After some tweaking he gets the slides so that they are roughly 1/4 open initially and then open to 3/4 throttle with the twist grip WFO. Better but not right still. Further investigation shows it's the throttle cable where the two carb leads join together - too bad neither of us has a spare throttle cable. Well, technically, I brought one along on my street T500 but I had been enjoying riding it around Mid-O. Still if Ralph doesn't have a spare throttle cable, it will be an option. Somehow the street bike looks nervous.....

In the meantime, I was working on the front disc brake. The brake was feeling "wooden" and we were concerned the pads were glazed. As it turns out, the pads were less glazed and more petrified. Probably time for some new pads. Then again we didn't want Ralph slagging off on the track by braking all the time. In the end we decided we may as well fix them. No problem, Eugene had brought along a fresh set of pads, I just had to install them. Except... the new pads were for a GS series Suzuki caliper. The caliper we had on hand is from a GT500. While both pad sets are round and suitably puck shaped, a set of GS pads will not fit into a GT caliper. Oh hell! What to do now? Eugene remembered the Kawi H1/H2 pads are the same as the GT pads. On the cell to Jeff G. - our resident Kawi expert. Did he know of anyone selling Kawi parts at the swap meet? Particularly brake pads? A few minutes of checking and Jeff calls back. There's a seller with Kawi cylinders and calipers towards the back of the swap meet! Maybe one of them will have some decent pads!

Off to the swap meet we go looking for brake pads and throttle cables. Or maybe a guy with a big box marked "vital crap you forgot to bring".....
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Wandering through the swap meet, we meet up with Jeff. He offers up the Suzuki 80 he's selling as transportation (as I had not pulled the T500 off the van at this point). For some reason the 80 doesn't like me and stalls as far away from the booth Jeff had it in as mechanically possible. Hilarity and cursing follow as first I try to kick start it and then Jeff tries to kick start it. Eventually, we borrow a tie down strap from a nearby booth and Jeff tows me back. At this point I decide it's time to pull my street T500 off the van. Once Eugene and I accomplish this, we start searching the swap meet in earnest. A few hours later, we have not found any throttle cables and the few compatible brake pads we've found managed to be worse that the ones we already have! We head back to the booth Jeff has his for sale bikes in to see if he's had any luck. No joy.

As we stand there talking, we notice there are some EBC brake pads and shoes on display in the "Z1 Enterprises" booth. We wander over to take a look. I'm trying to get my memory in gear as I seem to recall the Z1 may have used a similar set of brake pads. I'm still pondering this as I realize I'm staring at a set of 73-75 Z1, GT750, GT550, GT500, GT250, GT380, GT185, H1, H2, and RE5 brake pads! Hot damn! And they're green stuff compound to boot. Now to figure out the price. I negotiate with the guy in the booth and get him down to $20. DEAL!

We head back to the campsite and install the brake pads. Eugene re-safety wires the caliper bolts and now we have brakes!

We also realize it's almost 6pm and we're starving. Maybe it's time to gather the troops and head off to the Brown Derby roadhouse for a steak?
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

For those that have not been to Mid-Ohio before, the Brown Derby Roadhouse is almost a rite of passage. Popular with the locals on non-race weekends, it's almost insanely busy during a race weekend. So it's better to get there early so you don't have to wait too long for a table. We gather in the camping area and get ready to roll out... only my T500 doesn't want to run! I check the tank and realize I'm getting low on gas. Jeff kindly hands me his 5 gallon gas can and I top off. Plus a bottle of Suzuki CCI injector oil as my oil tank could use topping off as well. We head out to the Brown Derby (8 miles away) only to have my T500 lose power and stall once again about a mile from the track. We start going over it when Jeff notices the plugs are Champions! The bike is as I bought it and I have never looked at the plugs. I don't ride the T500 as often as my "modern" commuter bike - my '78 GS1000. It just so happens Jeff is carrying fresh NGKs that are the correct size (gotta love a prepared Kawi triple owner!) and his tool kit has a plug wrench. We change the plugs and get the T500 started again and continue to the restaurant about a half hour later than we hoped. As an aside, the T500 ran flawlessly the rest of the weekend - starting first kick most times and getting me where I wanted to go. In fact it ran so well, I never got my GS1000 off the van. Many thanks to Jeff as well as he's a calm, methodical troubleshooter particularly roadside where it counts. He continued to gladly lend a hand wrenching and helping out whenever possible and even if he's not in the mug shot above, he was definitely a key member of the team! Thanks Jeff!

We get to the Brown Derby and get our names on the wait list. 15-20 minutes. Not horrible. We're a party of four so it shouldn't take long for a table to open up. Until, our party starts to grow! First Jeff gets a call from his friend Eric from the Smokerider's board. Can he join us for dinner? Sure! He'll be there in a few minutes. Now we're a party of five. Might be a few more minutes on the table though. Then we find Geeto67, his dad, and another friend of theirs waiting for a table. Now we're a party of 8! Might be a few more minutes wait on the table. We hang around outside the Derby until Eric pulls up on his sweet GT750. It's bright red with chambers and sounds terrific! We head to the bar to wait and just before Jeff, Eric, and I can order some jumbo iced teas (to rehydrate after a day in the hot sun) they call us to our table.

Dinner was one of those neat little bits of life where time passes and yet you have no inkling that it's doing so. The tasty steaks were consumed, the cold refreshing drinks were drunk, and the continuous conversation pauses as you all take a collective breath to realize you've just spent a really enjoyable hour and a half or so with friends (both new and old). The bill was settled and we head back to the track as twilight approaches.

The camping area is mostly open during the day but they require you purchase or display a camping pass if you are in a car at night. We're just ahead of the attendant starting their nightly vigil as we pull into the camp ground. It's not fully dark yet and we have a bit more to do on the race bike. Plus Ralph will be at the track any moment and we want to meet up with him.

The rear mounted oil injection tank is leaking slowly drop by drop on to the rear tire and we've got to stop it. I tighten the banjo fitting hoping this will do the trick but it doesn't. We pull it apart, getting more oil on the tire, and replace the crush washers with stat-o-seals. This seems to do the trick. I clean up and head back up to the general parking area on the T500 to get the oil absorbing pads and hardware cloth. It's time to build the oil diaper. While I'm rummaging in the back of the cargo van, my phone rings. It's Ralph. He's driven in from Detroit and can't get into the camping area with his rental car without buying a camping pass. Since he's got a hotel room waiting nearby, this would be good money after bad. I tell him to wait a bit in the parking area and I'll be there to get him. He's surprised when I turn up from the opposite direction than he has been expecting. He rides down to the camping area on the back of the T500 and into the campsite without the attendant batting an eye.

By now it's getting close to 10pm and the campsite has a no noise policy after 10pm. We decide to stop wrenching and let Ralph ride the racer up to the pits. As we're revving the bike trying to get a good idle, security rolls down our aisle. Seems like the noise curfew is 9pm not 10. Oops! Sorry about that although none of our neighbors were sleeping yet so no real harm done.

We decide to regroup early Saturday morning (Ralph will need to be at the 7am rider's meeting) and head for our respective beds. Even though it's only about 6 miles through the country side to the Super 8 in Mansfield, the night ride is a nice one as the days heat is gone. I tumbled into my bed at midnight and fell asleep almost at once. Tomorrow will start early!
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Mid-Ohio Race Report

Post by Admin »

Race report from Mid-Ohio 2008.

Even though Zook-e wasn't able to make it to Mid-O in 2008, Sundial Racing was represented in the form of myself, Jim Winters, and Eugene Stewart.

Since my own T500 was still in pieces after my Willow Springs blow up, I had almost decided not to attend Mid-O at all. I was just about to cancel my hotel reservations when Jim Winters (DiamondJ) contacted me to see if I'd be interested in racing his newly purchased GT500 racer (from Eugene). I only had to think about it for a nanosecond; I said yes and that I'd meet them at the track Friday evening.

Friday evening came and I met the group (including Glenn and JeffG) at the camp ground to do some last minute wrenching.

Well Friday night turned into Saturday morning wrenching; there were many things to do to get the bike set up for Mid-O. The bike wouldn't idle or run at low speed without choke, I suspected the idle jets were fouled. Removing the carbs I changed main jetting to #260's, needles to 6DP17, and checked the pilot jets. Sure enough the pilots were plugged with splooge, nothing that some safety wire poking thru the little orifices won't fix. Also needed was regearing; the bike was last raced with 15-41 gearing, not exactly the 15-33 gearing thats needed for Mid-O. We also replace the throttle cable with a stock one that I brought along, this permitted the slides to open fully at full throttle.

With the last of the wrenching completed I missed the one (and only) practice session but made a few hot laps before the Formula 500 race.

Gridding up for the Formula 500 race I got a crappy start, not a problem since the field was close and I was faster thru the first few corners than some others. I made the first lap chasing an RD who was way faster on the straights but parked it in the corners. Despite being half the front straight ahead of me I was able to close the gap by turn 7 (off camber left hander over the hill).

On lap two I picked up a few rain drops on my face shield coming into turn 6, then slid the back end thru turn 6 as I noticed the track was getting wetter. Coming out of turn 6 I saw one bike go off the track to my left, then another run off the track at turn 7. At this point I saw the track was mostly wet, I decided to back off and just coast over turn 7 so I wouldn't slide off the track and crash.

Not at least crash at turn 7, but at turn 8 as I gently countersteered into the right hander I felt the front end slide, then the horizon tilt, then BANG as I low sided to the right and slid across the track. The semi wet track was slick as ice from the previous days oil spill.

I am now no longer a racing crash virgin, I have joined the ranks of the racers credo "there are two types of racers, those who have crashed and those who will crash." I am now a member of the former group.

With the race red flagged because of the 11 bikes that went down in those three corners, the crash truck brigade came out to retrieve us fallen soldiers.

Damage to the bike was a snapped off right foot peg mount and broken master cylinder lever and resevoir.

DiamondJ had a new Brembo master cylinder which was cool, while I took the busted foot peg mount to Andrew Cowell for welding.

The race was restarted later and ran for 4 laps but I didn't grid up because bike repairs weren't complete, hence no points.

Sunday morning came and I was hopeful to make the practice session, but Andrew hadn't yet welded the peg mount so I had to wait, missing practice.

Finally I retrieved the mount, bled the master cylinder, teched the bike, and made another hot lap. Ready to race.

Then DiamonJ J showed up with new Avon racing tyres and new rims, we installed the new hoops before the F-500 race. Now I was really ready to race.

Gridding up for F-500, I got a decent start and again weas giving chase to that RD. About two laps into the six lap race the engine pitch changed and I thought I might have fractured a piston skirt. I backed off slowing down to conserve the race and finish to collect more points. Upon coming back to the paddock I realized the engine noise was not caused bed by a piston but the left silencer had fallen off. Oh well, I finished the race and had a good time.

So Mid-Ohio was a great success; good time racing, hanging with the Sundial buch and other friends, and being out there with vintage race bikes.

Looking forward to Mid-Ohio 2009 when I'll have my bike back running....watch out!!!
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Archived Posts

Post by Admin »

Archived