Archived Posts

Information and stories pertaining to racing Suzuki two-strokes. Past and Present.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Admin
Supreme UFOB

Mid-Ohio 2007 T500 Racer Build-off

Post by Admin »

Now is the time to get started. We are trying get the largest concentration of T500s on a race track anywhere for this event.

Confirmed racers for this event:

Eric (Zook-e) Kalamaja 1968 Sundial T500
Ralph (Desmocat) Spencer T500
Kris (Krash) Larrivee Sundial T500
John Cooper Sundial T500
Keith (Otis) Sutton Sundial T500
Bill (Oh-no-Mr.-Bill) Vernon Sundial T500

Others in the works:

Jim (Diamondj) Winters
Eugene (Mowgli) Stewart
Adam (Adam) Shallenberg (sp?)

Possibles:

Ken Dover
Todd Brockmeyer (please!!!)
Harrison (HCW3) Withers

Post anything on this Topic from building assembly and any tricks to help all along. I will try to set up on my site an area specifically for this project and all the things you guys e-mail on this.

Also please let me know any new additions to the list.

It was suggested that we will be the Sundial Moto Sports "Flying Circus", maybe because of all the possible bike colors. Mine of course in all red with Maltese Crosses on it. Not! Mine in early Heron Suzuki Colors.

Lets get started!!!

Eric Kalamaja
Last edited by Admin on Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Off the top-of-my-head, and there's not much there (Flatop haircut) :D :D, you will need for starters:

A race ready T500
AHRMA Liscense $50
AMA membership $39
One piece or Two piece leathers
Snell 2005 helmet
Gloves,
Boots
Back protector

Race school if not already attended one $250
Last edited by Admin on Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

This is the AHRMA rule book online. If you have any questions please let me know and I will answer them or get you an answer.

http://ahrma.org/rulebook/index.htm
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

And what sponsorship money are you providing? ;>)

By next year, I can un-mothball my '76 GT500 WERA '80 Under 500cc class national champion bike - for some other rider, I'm too old. If interested PM me.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Zook-e wrote: AMA membership $39
Oh. I had forgotten about the AMA membership requirement for AHRMA membership. I parted ways with the AMA nearly decade ago when they jacked the membership up ten bucks the same year that Roger Edmondson sued them (and won to the tune of several million dollars) over their attempted theft of the Superbike series. That was the same year they lobbied Congress for a ruling to prevent insurance discrimination against motorcyclists. Unfortunately they were not careful in what they asked for and the law got tweaked to allow insurance companies to deny claims to anyone for other legal recreational activities (riding horses, mountain climbing, riding ATVs, snowmobiling, etc...). They did later correct this error in 2003 after spending a lot more lobbying the same jerks that passed the first law.

What pissed me off (and why I didn't renew) was when I called the AMA direct line to ask why my membership dues were going up by 34 percent, the rep I was speaking to gave me a line about rising administrative costs, increased postage for the magazine, blah, blah, blah.... When I pressed the issue and brought up the Edmondson suit and the wonky legislation, the rep got rude and basically told me I could renew or not he didn't care. I told him where they could stick my 6th year pin and I haven't been back since....

I felt justified in my decision when they pulled the same crap with Supercross the following year.....

I know it's probably my hang-up and I should just suck it up and renew but I have to ask - is there any way to get an AHRMA license without crawling back to the AMA???????

Jim
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Jim,

Sorry but you have to have the AMA liscense and on the up side, a liscense from other orginazitions will cost you more than the AHRMA and AMA together.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Oh well, guess I'll have to make nice with the AMA after all.

As far as AHRMA membership goes, is there a time limit between joining as a racing member and taking the race school? How does the timing work out on the whole thing to be eligible to race at Mid-Ohio if I take the race school there?

On a slightly different note, here's an interesting link to a replica TR500 although it's got enough original parts it's almost wrong to call it a replica:

http://www.suzukicycles.org/TR500_Seeley.shtml

I also made a scan of the BIKE JOURNAL article by Kris Bernstein on building a racing T500 and I've forwarded the scans to JeffG to post to 3 Cyl. I'll post a link here once it's available.....

Jim
Last edited by Admin on Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

You usually do not need a membership in a racing organization to go to a school to get your racing liscense. You can get that locally at maybe Loudon or what may be close to you.

Also the AHRMA liscense is good for one year from the month you sign up. Mid-Ohio and Daytona require you to have two races before you race at either of these tracks.

Beaver Run in PA north of Pittsburg is usually before Mid-Ohio and a good place to get your school and first two races in.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Frank Melling's Seeley Suzuki

Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Kevin Fletcher's Seeley Suzuki

Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

TerryG wrote:And what sponsorship money are you providing? ;>)

By next year, I can un-mothball my '76 GT500 WERA '80 Under 500cc class national champion bike - for some other rider, I'm too old. If interested PM me.
That sounds like Muzza bait to me! :D :D :D
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

I'm done, who else will have a bike there???

Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

desmocat wrote:I'm done, who else will have a bike there???

Now that is a sweet shot of you and your bike in action Desmocat! Plenty of cornering clearance with those Swarbrick style Jemcos!

How about a run down on your machine's specifications/build to help the rest of us get started?????

Jim
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Diamondj wrote: How about a run down on your machine's specifications/build to help the rest of us get started?????

Jim
Jim those pipes are actually the ones designed by Jerry Klawitter. The Swarbrick style actually tuck slightly more.

They look like this.

Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

You are just trying to piss us off with that gas price sign...... :lol: :lol: :lol: