Anybody road racing a GT250 in AHRMA and WERA?

Information and stories pertaining to racing Suzuki two-strokes. Past and Present.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

90kacoupe
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1973 gt250

Anybody road racing a GT250 in AHRMA and WERA?

Post by 90kacoupe »

I'm new here and new to racing as well as these early Suzuki 2-stroke. My Dad and I have been wanting to start racing for a while. We both love vintage racing so that is what we have decided to do. We were originally looking for a cb350k or something like that but we both really wanted a 2 stroke.

Then we were given a 1973 gt250 for free!! The bike is in great shape minus the motor.

So we are in the middle of a complete rebuild including rods from a gt250a and pistons from the same model. We are going to convert the bottom end to take 62mm bearings instead of the extremely rare 65mm bearings.

I was curious if there is anybody is racing one of these in the states? If you do or have I would love to ask some questions.
bs_racer
On the street

Re: Anybody road racing a GT250 in AHRMA and WERA?

Post by bs_racer »

Welcome to the site and welcome to the wonderful world of roadracing. You'll probably find that there are few things more expensive than a free motorcycle but please don't let that stop you. There is a lot of information on this site and many knowledgeable people who can answer any questions you might have. I hope to see you at the track. Tim
Worrying is simply praying for something you don't want.
90kacoupe
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1973 gt250

Post by 90kacoupe »

I am really looking forward to it. I'm very aware of the expenses. I have background in 4 wheeled racing. 4 wheeled racing is crazy expensive since A good set of tires for a car cost more then a cheap race bike cost.

I've been doing some research on the old tr250 motor specs and things like that. I'm just having hard time finding info on suspension setup. But I'm not to worried about it. I'm just going to set it up the best I can with basic components and upgrade as I go. That way I can learn what I'm actually changing instead of going off what somebody else says.

I will admit I know nothing about setting up proper suspension on a motorcycle. I know how to make a car handle good but not a motorcycle. So the learning begins!
bs_racer
On the street

Post by bs_racer »

You can also join "North American two strokes" . The administrator there, TeeZed, used to race a T250 I believe.
Worrying is simply praying for something you don't want.
Bonesz
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T20, T250, GT250, T350

Post by Bonesz »

I have been racing a 76 GT250 for the past two years here in Canada and the bike is reasonably competitive only my skills are holding it back. I have done a lot of tuning to both T250's and 76on GT250's and have learned a lot, the earlier GT's relate to the T20's and T250's where the GT after 76 is a different kettle of fish. I have three sets of cylinders with different specs ready for this coming race season so I will know more then. But if there is anything I can help with just ask.
Zunspec4
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R, SV1000S, TS125, Seeley T500

Post by Zunspec4 »

Hi,

The UK Classic Racing Motorcycle Club run a class for 250cc Air Cooled bikes. There are a few X7 raced to good effect, I don't know how that engine compares to the GT250 but there must be a lot similarities. Tuning would be much the same for both I suspect. There is a Classic Motorcycle Racing Forum, see link. I'm sure you can gather some good advice if you ask a few questions.

http://www.cmrf.co.uk/smf/index.php

Cheers Geoff
Bonesz
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T20, T250, GT250, T350

Post by Bonesz »

Thanks for the link I will check it out. As far as the X7 goes I think the difference is it runs reed valves and an electronic ignition std where as the rest of the GT's are piston port. The only issue I have right now is getting the beast to rev higher but I am hoping a switch to 32mm carbs for next year will rectify that.