Archived Posts

Information and stories pertaining to racing Suzuki two-strokes. Past and Present.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Admin
Supreme UFOB

Mid-Ohio T500 Build-off Bios needed

Post by Admin »

For all those participation in the Build-off for 2007 I wish to have a Biography and small picture from each of you. Also what you wish to call you bike, like the main sponsor. Even if it is not me it doesn't matter, those sponsors are important too. You can list all your sponsors and any new ones you get will be added as well.

Later I will post complete or partial pics so people can see you and your bike.

The idea of this Build-off is to to get as many T500s on the grid as possible. Maybe even some press for us and AHRMA if possible. Like the Team MOMBA Build-0ff.

You ccan send you bios and pics to sundialmotosport@swva.net

Please e-mail pics in a easy to download size. Or send to:

Eric Kalamaja
Sundial Moto Sports
494 Huffville Rd. NE
Pilot, VA 24138
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Man Prices like that would be Nice wouldn't they Moo?

Hey Zook-e I guess my GS500 Framed T500 with +2mm Oversize Pistons,Reed valves and a Stroked Crank wouldn't qualify would it? :? :? :? :lol: :lol: :lol:
After I get done I probably wouldn't be able to afford to Race it anyway. :roll: :roll:
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Zook-e,

Here's a dumb question for you. Nowhere in the racer challenge do you mention the class we are all planning to run in. I'm pretty sure we're talking Formula 500 but maybe someone that knows for sure can confirm this?

Jim
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

The class is Formula 500 with the bump up class of Formula Vintage. Extra seat time and more racing fun in the same day, though usually race 10 and 15. Both late in the day.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

All,

Jeff G. was kind enough to post these for me at www.3cyl.com. Here's a scan of the Kris Bernstein article that appeared in Bike Journal. He gives an overview of building a competitive T500 racer. Some of the components and companies mentioned are no longer around (Akront for one) but usually there are substitutes and someone here will know about them:

http://www.3cyl.com/jimw/t500rp1.pdf
http://www.3cyl.com/jimw/t500rp2.pdf
http://www.3cyl.com/jimw/t500rp3.pdf
http://www.3cyl.com/jimw/t500rp4.pdf

Jim
Admin
Supreme UFOB

T500 racer

Post by Admin »

Ok I'm done. :twisted:

I'll post pictures tomorrow night.

I may also want to replace the fuel lines on the bike as they are a few years old, and I noticed the kill switch is kinda iffy.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

thanks for the pdf's diamondj, useful info for us less edumackated types
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Not that I am tossing my hat in the ring just yet, but....what about those of us who have not raced and don't own a set of leathers...any advice (espically for the huskier of us)?
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Good leathers at a closeout price can be had from http://www.newenough.com
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Geeto67 wrote:Not that I am tossing my hat in the ring just yet, but....what about those of us who have not raced and don't own a set of leathers...any advice (espically for the huskier of us)?
Interestingly enough, often the larger leather sizes are easier to find at places like www.newenough.com and on Ebay. That said, beyond a certain point you'll need custom made leathers from someone like Vanson and that will run you $1,000 easily.....

Newenough has a Teknic Lightning one piece suit in the closeout section up to a size 52 for $399....... There was a seller at Mid-Ohio that had one and two piece suits for $199. You might also find a deal at Javits show in January.

My main concern is getting a race bike together in time to get to a school and get a couple of races in before Ohio. If I understood Zook-e correctly, I need to have the race school and at least two races under my belt before they will let me race at Vintage Days. I'm hoping the two races can be a Saturday and a Sunday at the same event rather than two separate events? Then the trick becomes finding a track close enough that I can get there over a weekend.....

Jim
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Hey Zook-e,

Do we get partial or full credit if we build a T500 racer and get a "hired gun" to do the riding???? :D

Jim
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Any bike built by our site members and ridden by themselves or another is eligible for the "Sundial Racing" trophy presentation at the end of each days racing. This awards ceremony takes place after the one by AHRMA.

And actually anyone entering a T500 in Formula 500 at Mid-Ohio.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

I bead blasted a stock swingarm today and turned down a set of bronze bushings. I'm looking at bracing now.

Stock:

Just looking at the swingarm I first thought about adding a plate over the bracing up front. But that doesn't seem like it would add much stiffness since it wouldn't be getting rid of much unsupported length of tube. This is what I'm thinking now.

Depending on how much room the tire needs I'd like to make a plate that would also act as a gusset behind the cross tube. The lightest would be to only have a gusset behind the cross tube. Any opinions? What have other people done? I'm open to any ideas! Thanks!
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Adam wrote:I bead blasted a stock swingarm today and turned down a set of bronze bushings. I'm looking at bracing now.

Stock:

Just looking at the swingarm I first thought about adding a plate over the bracing up front. But that doesn't seem like it would add much stiffness since it wouldn't be getting rid of much unsupported length of tube. This is what I'm thinking now.

Depending on how much room the tire needs I'd like to make a plate that would also act as a gusset behind the cross tube. The lightest would be to only have a gusset behind the cross tube. Any opinions? What have other people done? I'm open to any ideas! Thanks!
My H1 500 drag bike has bracing on the swingarm like you are talking about. As I understand it helps limit deflection under hard acceleration (like dumping the clutch with a slick).

JMC braces their sport bike swingarms like this and I have seen a few H1 people do it:

This seems like a lot of metal to me but on a sport bike I suppose it isn't noticed. I am not sure this is class legal - remember in order to run in formula 500 the bike must meet class rules.

incidently - JMC will make you a swingarm for a t500 for: £548.72
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

This is what AHRMA allows for a swing-arm brace:

although with chromoly tube for bracing, this might be about right.

I've often wondered if it would be possible to slice an inch or two out of each side of the swing-arm and then put a piece of thin wall chromoly tubing inside the halves and weld it back together to increase the rigidity of the swing-arm while reducing the length.....

Jim