1996 RMX 250

General discussion about Offroad two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

interceptor
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT380

1996 RMX 250

Post by interceptor »

Hi everyone. I don`t think I`ve introduced myself yet. Sorry about that. I have been riding motorcycles alot longer than I have been working on them. I do it for mental therapy mostly. Taking something ratty and making it presentable makes me feel good. Have done some work on a few bikes now. My last bike was a GT 380 that I got in crates and put back together. It was alot of fun, but ultimately I got bored with it. Then I bought a CL 360 that I thought I would work on during the winter. And now thats done. So now I`ve bought something that I`ve always wanted - a real dirt bike. Picked up a 1996 RM 250 with a RMX250 engine. I`ve read afew.things about the RM engines transmission failing, but not the RMX. I was told in another forum I may be OK since the trans is a wide ratio trans. Keeping my fingers crossed. Previous owner tore engine apart and found out it needs a new piston and jug sleeved. May need a new crank arm bearing, too. So basically a rebuild and new seals. From what I`ve seen, these look to be a very fun bike. Pics to come. If anybody has any experience.with this bike, please chime in. I`m learning as I go here.