1996 RMX 250

General discussion about Offroad two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

interceptor
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT380

1996 RMX 250

Post by interceptor »

Hi everyone. I don`t think I`ve introduced myself yet. Sorry about that. I have been riding motorcycles alot longer than I have been working on them. I do it for mental therapy mostly. Taking something ratty and making it presentable makes me feel good. Have done some work on a few bikes now. My last bike was a GT 380 that I got in crates and put back together. It was alot of fun, but ultimately I got bored with it. Then I bought a CL 360 that I thought I would work on during the winter. And now thats done. So now I`ve bought something that I`ve always wanted - a real dirt bike. Picked up a 1996 RM 250 with a RMX250 engine. I`ve read afew.things about the RM engines transmission failing, but not the RMX. I was told in another forum I may be OK since the trans is a wide ratio trans. Keeping my fingers crossed. Previous owner tore engine apart and found out it needs a new piston and jug sleeved. May need a new crank arm bearing, too. So basically a rebuild and new seals. From what I`ve seen, these look to be a very fun bike. Pics to come. If anybody has any experience.with this bike, please chime in. I`m learning as I go here.
Cragdog
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550L, PE250B, RM250N

Re: 1996 RMX 250

Post by Cragdog »

Hey there! Welcome to the forum if you haven't been welcomed already!

Sorry, the offroad section of this forum rarely gets used since there are so many dirt specific forums out there on the web.

I too recently picked up a 1996 RM250 and have read that that year was very good for the 250 class of Suzuki's. The expansion chamber on mine is beat to hell and will need replacing, but everything else was in decent shape. Well... That is, after I spent 2 hours cleaning it from the filth a year living underneath a pine tree and dog piss :wth: :?
A few more parts and tlc and I'll have it back in the dirt! :up:
If you like it, then you should ride it.

1974 Suzuki GT550
1977 Suzuki PE250
1992 Suzuki RM250
1988 Yamaha YZ250
1970 Honda CB750 K0