Flooded carb

General discussion about Offroad two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Norton nut
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1970 tc90

Flooded carb

Post by Norton nut »

Any suggestions on how to rectify a flooded carb?
CBWELLS
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Honda-350, SUZUKI GT550 x2, GS850, 92 VMAX,

Re: Flooded carb

Post by CBWELLS »

If, by "flooded", you mean there's fuel flowing out the overflow tube, then maybe the shut-off at the tank isn't working. It maybe manual, maybe vacuum type. BUT, even if the fuel is getting from the tank to the carb, the float valve in the carb bowl should limit fuel inlet to the bowl which should prevent "flooding". So, maybe you two issues at play. The above mentioned petcock issue, and the float may not be "floating". That is, maybe it has a leak. OR, maybe the needle tang is not adjusted correctly. Maybe the float needle is not seating properly.... maybe worn or damaged or contaminated. Maybe the it's not the needle, but the seat itself. Basically, consider everything along the path from the tank to the bowl. There's no magic involved. If ya understand how a toilet float & valve works, it's kinda the same idea, only a lot smaller. These are just some general areas to consider. Good luck!
Norton nut
Still in the Driveway

Post by Norton nut »

Thanks for the reply. I did check the tang and lifted it a pinch to make sure it was pushing the float needle up.I manually lifted up the float and blew into the gas feed, no air escaped, leading me to believe that the needle was seating, however when I reassembled the carb and added gas, it still flooded and leaked out the overflow tube. It's got me puzzled considering the manual test. Should I just replace the float needle and seat?
Norton nut
Still in the Driveway

Post by Norton nut »

And the float seems to be ok. I don't see a crack or holes in either pontoon.
pearljam724
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 75- GT 550 / 76- GT 750

Post by pearljam724 »

As stated earlier, the main culprits would be petcock weeping as the bike is sitting, you left petcock in prime position for too long, float height not correct or rust particles sitting in the needle valve seat not allowing it to shut off fuel. Rust particles floating in tank are always a culprit with old bikes causing this issue. Even when you think they are fairly clean, I assure you there is rust floating around in there getting to your carbs. Install an inline filter and seal the tank.
Image Image