How to fix flood carb problem

General discussion about Offroad two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Norton nut
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1970 tc90

How to fix flood carb problem

Post by Norton nut »

Wonder if anyone can help me out? I have a '70 tc 90 that been sitting around for about 7or 8 years. Last week thought I'd give it a shot at firing it up. Clean things up a bit, got a spark, clean gas, gave it a couple of kicks and low and behold it started! However not for long. Now I can't get it started and the carb seems to be flooding. Gas is steadily leaking out small black tube on the bottom of the carb. Although, it does fire up momentarily when I put a shot of gas in the plug hole. Just long enough to burn off that shot of gas - then dies. Got any suggestions?
pearljam724
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 75- GT 550 / 76- GT 750

Re: How to fix flood carb problem

Post by pearljam724 »

If the bike ran fine before it was parked last and no one tinkered with the floats since. There is rust in the tank causing your carbs to flood. Rust particles will flow from the tank to your needle valve seat. Clogging it and not allowing the needle valve to completely shut off fuel to the carbs. Causing them to flood. You need to remove the carbs. Properly disassemble them completely. Soak and properly clean the the jets with fine wire prior to soaking a majority of the parts.. You need to follow that procedure with flushing the tank and properly sealing it from further rust or it will continue to happen. In addition to that, it's a good idea to add an inline fuel filter to prevent this is in the future. A lot of times, people presume that they're tanks are not that bad. With only minor rust showing here and there. That minor rust is more than enough to create particles floating around in your tank. I'd look into replacing the needle valves also while the carbs are apart. They're probably shot also.
Image Image