a 1972 Ts185 I'm fixing up.

General discussion about Offroad two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

turnofftheradio
On the street

a 1972 Ts185 I'm fixing up.

Post by turnofftheradio »

Well, the gt750 is still waiting for me to finish, 3yrs later...
To help fund the crank rebuild on it I have been picking up a few side jobs, this is the newest.

My buddy picked up this 72 TS185 for $75 and dropped it in my garage. It has low compression, leaks from various locations and has had someone playing with the wires. It should be a fun project. His goal is to drive it from detroit to chicago and use it as his city bike. I think its a great choice. I did manage to get it to start just for the heck of it.

I'll be doing at a minimum all seals and gaskets plus crank bearings.

Looks a little rough but its mostly there, the frame is solid, and looks to be a fun bike to ride.

Weight reduction... This thing is so easy to work on compared to the buffalo.

Hopefully tonight I'll have the engine pulled apart and cleaned so I can take some measurements, but from a peek into the exhaust port I can predict that a rebore may very well be in order. Only the micrometer really knows.

Its nice to be getting my hands dirty on another old suzuki.
turnofftheradio
On the street

Re: a 1972 Ts185 I'm fixing up.

Pulled some more apart...

piston has been oversized once already. the cyl and piston are very scored. It doesnt look like it had been a ton of use since rebuild, so maybe the oil pump failed, or it did not have an air filter which is likely as there was not one that came on it.

I can only assume a broke chain did this? Idk, never seen a clutch rod bent like this. apparently there are two of these in there, condition of 2nd unknown... amazing the clutch did operate, had figured the cable was real tight which it also was, but did not expect this in there
turnofftheradio
On the street

I'll need to locate one of these gauge surrounds... Is that possible? or is it a replace the whole thing deal?

and another pic for fun of that bent clutch rod...

I'll be ordering some parts soon, is everyone's recommendation wiesco for pistons? I may not have another option if this is buggered to 1.5mm which it may very well be, since it was a 0.5 anyways, looks really wavy.

Also, I see a few parts list obsolete which I suspect as of now are ok but has me a little concerned. Connecting rod, crank pin, crank bearing. What the heck does everyone use when those go?
turnofftheradio
On the street

Slowly still going.

got that case split. time to put the pieces together again soon. Didn't find anything else interesting in there thank goodness.
turnofftheradio
On the street

I've located a guy to do my barrel boring.

Still looking for that gauge cover. Any ideas where I can look? They seem like the same that are on my buffalo.