New member 1968 KT120

General discussion about Offroad two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Excndez
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1968 KT120

New member 1968 KT120

Post by Excndez »

Hello all,
I'm new to this forum, but I've been riding motorcycles for over 40 years.

Anyhow..

I just bought a 1968 KT120 with 285 original miles. The bike appears to be 100% original including the Mitsubishi scrambles tires. The bike is very clean cosmetically with some sun fading on the headlight bucket and a little on the top of the tank. I'm an the second owner and have the original title signed by the original owner. Mechanically the bike is great and I've put about 50 road miles on it. The KT120 is the model with the heel kick shifter to go from low to high range in the transmission. Is there any value with this bike?

I need to figure out how to post pictures and then I'll put some up.
ConnerVT
Novice racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R (now), T500M (40 yrs ago)

Re: New member 1968 KT120

Post by ConnerVT »

First, welcome to the forum. Sounds like you've found an interesting bike. I had to do a little searching to see what you have, and it looks like a fun little bike.

To post pics, you can either attach a picture file (.jpg) that you have on your computer ("Upload attachment" section below the "Post a reply" box), or if it is on the web, just click the Img box, and put the URL between the boxes that show up in the post you are typing (I'll do that below, with a stock picture I found)

Does it have any value? Most things do. they are as valuable as what someone will pay for it. (I know, *that's* helpful!)

Vintage Japanese motorcycles have been getting more interest over the past few years, as guys remember the bikes they used to have, and have the $$$ to buy toys. The Internet has made it so much easier to find bikes (and the parts to fix them), instead of having to rely on whatever resources are in your area.

Most of the interest have been street bikes. They are usually better survivors of the years, and the folks who would be in the market to buy aren't as young as the once were. A small trail bike and a middle age man who has put on weight don't make for an enjoyable ride. For the abuse a trail bike takes, modern bikes are so much improved than those 30-40 years old! Not to say there wouldn't be folks interested in it, but it will certainly take more time to find a buyer.

In 100% original, low mileage, reasonable aging, running condition, a completely shoot from the hip estimate would be around $1000 USD could be had for it. As condition goes down, so will the value, and probably pretty quickly.
Excndez
Still in the Driveway

Post by Excndez »

ConnerVT,
Thanks for the reply and information. The picture you found is the same as the bike I have, but mine is red.

I understand nothing is worth anything until you find someone willing to buy it. I don't plan on selling it anyway.

I attached a picture
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GT750Battleship
Road race school
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suzuki GT750A 1976

Post by GT750Battleship »

:up: Welcome,yes fun little bikes in their day & still are..I think most of us "here" had good fun learning the basics about motorcycling on Suzuki's "tiddlers" ..enjoy !

Cheers,
GT750Battleship.
GT750Battleship.
MikeH1A
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by MikeH1A »

Man, what a good find. Awesome condition :up: She will be such fun to own and ride.
Burt Munro + John Britten + Kim Newcombe + Ivan Mauger = Kiwi Street Cred

72 GT750J
71 TS250R
71 H1A
Sandman
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: TS100 TS125 TM125 RM125

Post by Sandman »

Thanks to the original owner who cared for and stored this little gem correctly for all of these years! Very unusual situation. I didn't realize that Mitsubishi produced motorcycle tires in the 1960's.
Excndez
Still in the Driveway

Post by Excndez »

Sandman wrote:Thanks to the original owner who cared for and stored this little gem correctly for all of these years! Very unusual situation. I didn't realize that Mitsubishi produced motorcycle tires in the 1960's.

I don't know if the Mitsubishi tires are original or not. I can't even find information on Mitsubishi motorcycle tires. The original owner said they are original. The bike runs perfect and is quite fun to putt around on.