rv air pump

General discussion about Offroad two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Ben
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1 too few

rv air pump

Post by Ben »

Would like to take it apart to fix and paint. Any tips on how to open it up?
Ben in Canada
71 CB500
74 RV125
75 RV125
84 RZ500
85 RZ500
94 DAJIBAN
00 VFR800
Ben
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1 too few

Re: rv air pump

Post by Ben »

Small audience I am sure....but heres what I've learned.

The pump can come apart from the chrome retaining ring between the shaft and the pump. It can be slowly tapped off working your way around the ridge.

Inside is your typical old school leather cup that creates the seal. Mine is well worn. Finding a replacement is proving tough, making a new cup might be the way I go, many resources online, but basically taking 1.5-1.9mm leather and forming it....

The trickier part is the rubber hose that fits inside the shaft. Mine was stuck and after a few attempts at simply pulling it out, I've given up.

There is a pressed in cap in the handle that holds the shaft, I havent figured out how I am going to get this out. It seems to be the issue holding the rubber hose inside.

If you can remove the rubber hose from the top and dissasemble the leather pump seal (easy once chrome cap is off), you have broken the pump down enough to send it to be powder coated or painted, rebuilt etc....

WARNING: the steell sheet metal formed shaft is weak at where it connects to the top of the pump handle, take care as it will easily break from the handle if forced too much.

hope this helps....
Ben in Canada
71 CB500
74 RV125
75 RV125
84 RZ500
85 RZ500
94 DAJIBAN
00 VFR800