TS125C - Low speed expectations

General discussion about Offroad two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Zunspec4
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R, SV1000S, TS125, Seeley T500

TS125C - Low speed expectations

Post by Zunspec4 »

Help needed :D

After a good deal of time since I finished the wee TS125 I now have it road legal and have been giving it a proper run. It goes great once it hits 6000 rpm's but is very unresponsive before that. This is compounded by the wide spacing on 1st, 2nd, 3rd gears where it drops below 6000 unless I rev it to 8-9000. I have checked the carb and have the specified Main, Pilot jets & needle, re-cleaned everything etc. Currently have the clip in the needle on 2nd lowest which has improved things but a basic plug reading seems to indicate a weak mixture. I'll check ign. timing again tomorrow with a strobe.

What should the low speed pick-up be like, can anyone riding a TS125 provide any advice ?

Cheers for any advice

Zunspec
Sandman
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: TS100 TS125 TM125 RM125

Re: TS125C - Low speed expectations

Post by Sandman »

I put many miles on my 1973 TS125 and am basing my reply on that experience. It should pull pretty well from low unless you whack the throttle open under load at too tall a gear. It's fairly torquey for a 125 two stroke, not completely gutless. Somethings definitely wrong with yours, check timing to verify, then go on. Not likely that anybody geared it too tall, unless used only on the street. Curious to see what it ends up being- carb or electrical.