TS250 Factory Tuning Kit

General discussion about Offroad two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Frodo
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: TS250R

TS250 Factory Tuning Kit

Post by Frodo »

A factory tuning kit was available for the late 60s, early 70s TS250. This enabled the engine power output to be increased from about 23bhp to some 31bhp. This was comparable with the factory competition TM250, a closely related machine.

I expect that today such a kit to be as rare as hens teeth, however, hopefully the knowledge of what the kit was about is still out there.

I imagine that part of the kit was an improved air filter (K&N) with associated carburetor jet and needle tweaks, that would give about 4bhp increase. So where is the other 4bhp coming from?, did the kit include a new barrel and head with improved breathing? Was there an alternative tuned exhaust?

Any ideas?

Many thanks...
elbert
On the main road

Re: TS250 Factory Tuning Kit

Post by elbert »

Don't know the details about the TS250
Kit, but other kits included barrel, cyllinder head, carburator and exhaust etc. Just a k&n filter would not give anything near 4 extra hp, at best a k&n filter will give more noise and maybe you will be able to rev it a bit higher.
debby
On the main road

Post by debby »

We had one back in the day. My dad had a 71 TS250 that holed the piston. The dealer convinced him to buy the race kit instead of stock replacement parts. You got a lot of parts: new head, cylinder, piston, carb, a TM-style airbox assembly, a TM-style expansion chamber, a new, much-smaller oil tank (stock oil tank wouldn't fit with the larger airbox). I think there were some sprockets too.

It really transformed the bike. Stock, the power was kind of soft. With the kit, the bike ripped! There was no silencer on the pipe and it was loud as hell. After a couple of test rides up and down the street the neighbors were ready to kill us!

It wasn't really suitable for the street any more with all that so we turned it into a dirt bike. With a 21 inch front wheel and stiffer fork springs it made a pretty decent dirt bike.
70 T500-III
75 RL250
79 GS1000N
plus a few non-Suzukis...
Suzsmokeyallan
Moto GP
Location: Mostly Barbados, sometimes Florida and western Canada

Post by Suzsmokeyallan »

Suzuki did quite a few of those racing kits, the ones most popular were the kit for the A50 series and the A100.
Debby nailed it on the head for the majority of the parts, but some kits also had a cafe style seat, clutch kit and a flywheel conversion.
The A series engines also had a retimed disc valve in the kit.
I've got an A100 with the kit on it thats been lying dormant for years and its interesting how those engine mods transformed the docile stock A100 engine.
Two strokes, its just that simple.

69 Suz U70
69 Suz T500
72 Suz GT750 cafe
74 Suz TS250
74 Suz GTXVR project
75 Suz RE5
75 Suz GT750
76 Suz TS400
76 Suz GT750
81 Suz GSX1100
86 Suz RG500x2
88 Hon CR500
93 Hon CBR900RR
98 Suz GSF1200x3
15 Kaw Ninja H2
ilikesuzis
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 ts250, 06 rm250, t250, gs400

Post by ilikesuzis »

I'm doing up a 69 TS250 for vintage dirt track, and keen for some more horsepower. Can these cylinders be ported for more horses successfully or do you need a cylinder with more transfer ports? Shave the head perhaps? Have an aftermarket pipe, which helps. Presume larger carb good too. Then on to weight saving - ditch the steel rims, remove oil injection?
DAllen
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: TS250, T500

Post by DAllen »

I recently purchased a cylinder from the factory hop-up kit to fit the TS250. Doubt if I ever use it. If interested, drop me an email.
DAllen
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: TS250, T500

Post by DAllen »

On the suzukits site I posted pics of a stock TS cylinder, the hop-up kit cylinder and a TM cylinder. Other than the removal of the bridge in the carb port, the stock and kit cylinder appear very similar. I having my stock cylinder ported and expect it will breath better than the kit cylinder. Plus, I understand the bridge will increase ring life.
kaching
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1975 TC185

Post by kaching »

Hope it's alright to link. Here is a guy selling [relisting] a 1969/70 TS250 hop-up kit. The price went up US$200 when he realized he had the entire kit!

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mc ... 22317.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He claims to have consulted a parts list. His items include:

"bigger ports barrel
bigger carb with brass floats
used stock piston & rings
2 rear sprockets
2 countershaft sprockets
2 main jets
used factory Suzuki Chamber in good shape
I have every piece of this Hop-up kit nothing is missing."

I like how this is an "NOS" hop-up kit.