Archived Posts

General discussion about Offroad two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Admin
Supreme UFOB

project PE

Post by Admin »

I bought a 1980 RS 175 engine today from my local dealer, they rebuilt the motor years ago for a customer that never returned and paid for the work. It's about the same motor as a PE 175 so I am looking for a basket case PE 175 or early air cooled RM 125 to put the motor in. I got it for $100, it has a new Wiseco 1.5mm piston on a fresh bore and the carb, may have new rod but nobody remembered what was done to the motor it had been there so long. I would like to put it in a RM125 chassis with the metal tank, '76-'77 model or a PE frame, if one turns up in anybody's area let me know.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

No one remebers Joel Robert or Sylvain Geboers?? Am I just that old???
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Terry Good has a website dedicated to factory "Works" motocross bikes. He has a collection of original 1970's bikes and is planning to build a museum. Check his site out!!!

http://mxworksbike.com/index.htm
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

solosuzuki wrote:No one remebers Joel Robert or Sylvain Geboers?? Am I just that old???
Most of us remember; also Roger DeCoster, JN Roberts, Ake Johnnson, Mick Andrews, Malcolm Smith, Brad Lackey, on and on.....

Lane
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Jack Penton??? I had a 1972 DKW Hornet. Great bike when you could hit the shifts!!

Rob
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Heikki Mikkola ???
Finland has produced some amazing riders over the years. I guess they gotta be fast because their season is only 2 months long. :grin:
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

I have this rather old video of Roger Decoster at Carlsbad using a ribbi link front suspension on his open class Suzuki. Along for the ride is Brad Lackey, Gerrit Wolsink,Andre Vromans etc and a bunch of the good old factory boys taking in the summer heat which some dont handle very well.
The course is rather brutal with searing temps and a hard packed rutted dirt course which has the bikes limited suspensions bouncing all over the place.
Towards the end some riders just give up and head for the tents to cool off while some suffer from heat related issues and need to get medical attention.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Heikki and Gerrit. My god what a bunch of geezers on this site. Someof my half beer pickled brain cells still remember them......

Lost in the 60's.... WFO. did they every define that in Dirt Bike. Way full Out???

All I know is a series of whoops and then tank slappers into a flying "W"!!! The ground must have been softer then.....

Rob
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

The ground must have been softer then.....

I just think we were harder..... :oops:
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Noisy TS 400

Post by Admin »

Hi all -

Some time ago I acquired a '74 TS 400 that was in pretty decent shape, considering, with about 2500 actual miles on it. It had been ridden on the street some, but mostly offroad - had had the lights, turn signals, etc. taken off (but dutifully kept). It DOES run (had to replace the petcock gasket, gas spewing everywhere in the garage with two freezers running, talk about your virtual house-wrecker bomb) but it's AWFULLY noisy. It's hard to tell, but the noise seems to be from the top end. I am the 3rd owner, the 2nd put less than 200 miles on it and took good care of it.

Are these things just generally noisy, big single-cylinder and all, or is this a trait of the Apaches, and/or what should I be looking for here? Eventually I'm going to tear this one down and restore it but I'd like to trail ride it a bit first. Pictures will follow soon.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

When is it noisy? At idle, WOT, cruising ? Hot, Cold? These large 2 strokes are prone to detonation and surge/bucking. At WOT, it can sound like there is a can of washers running around in the cylinder if set too lean. At idle your choices are pretty narrow, piston slap from rings or wrist pin if we are dealing with top end only. Check your jetting, decarbon the head/piston crown, look for intake leaks. These big one lungers are noisier when hot also.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

The fins are quite noisy, but it's not quite like detonation on mine. Do some plug checks to make sure it's OK. They are noisy engines.

Lane
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

GT Tim wrote:When is it noisy? At idle, WOT, cruising ? Hot, Cold? These large 2 strokes are prone to detonation and surge/bucking. At WOT, it can sound like there is a can of washers running around in the cylinder if set too lean. At idle your choices are pretty narrow, piston slap from rings or wrist pin if we are dealing with top end only. Check your jetting, decarbon the head/piston crown, look for intake leaks. These big one lungers are noisier when hot also.
Hi, Tim - it's mostly noticeable coming off idle and accelerating. I've not had a lot of opportunity to run it at a "cruising" attitude (no lights, etc.) but under acceleration it seems to be noisiest. I haven't wrung it out (WOT = wide open throttle?) because I haven't spent much time with it yet and don't want to scatter it while trying to diagnose it, but your suggestions are very helpful. I'm going to start looking into carburetion and other possibilities. Lane said in his post that the cylinder fins ring, that is a very distinct possibility too. I'll have some pictures up before too long (yeah, I know, I said that). Thanks again!
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

rngdng wrote:The fins are quite noisy, but it's not quite like detonation on mine. Do some plug checks to make sure it's OK. They are noisy engines.

Lane
Thanks Lane - I think that it's OK, I've been told by someone else off the forum that they are noisy engines but your suggestion about the fins makes a great deal of sense given what I've heard. Time will tell. I may open it up if I can find some OS rings/piston, but that remains to be seen. Again, my sincere appreciation for your taking the time to lend your expertise.