Archived Posts

General discussion about Offroad two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

can't remember seeing one of those TF's in UK but that doesn't mean they weren't here
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Hey, I resemble that! Thanks Ed, it purrs like a kitten. I cant wait to take it to Kroom and thrash it with your DT. :banana:
Admin
Supreme UFOB

RE:RN71...

Post by Admin »

Jeesus...those were the days.....never again,sadly...

Sam in Indiana
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Willie,
Do you remember a guy named Doug McIntyre from back then? He worked in Service in Santa Fe Springs.

Geez
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Bikegeezer wrote:Willie,
Do you remember a guy named Doug McIntyre from back then? He worked in Service in Santa Fe Springs.

Geez
You mean the guy at the left of the picture??? Yeah, Doug and I worked together back then. Last I heard, he was working for American Honda. I can't confirm that though...
Last edited by Admin on Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Bikegeezer wrote:Willie,

Geez
Sorry for the double post, the first picture, you couldn't see Doug very well.

Last edited by Admin on Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Why is he holding a fishing rod and a stringer of fish at what looks to be a racetrack?
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

GT Tim wrote:Why is he holding a fishing rod and a stringer of fish at what looks to be a racetrack?
Stupid advertising agency's idea of a great shot for a TV commercial we were suppose to be part of. Never saw it air. Wonder why??
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Well, Willie, the brass at Suzuki might have thought it would look too fishy !!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm sorry, but I never let the easy ones go by.......:grin:
Admin
Supreme UFOB

TS250 wiring question

Post by Admin »

Anyone know what the brown w/ white stripe wire is for on my '74 TS250? It runs from an double connection in the headlight bucket back to where main wiring mess is under seat. It's currently disconnected at both places on my bike.

Thanks,
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Ralph:
Solid brown is usually a lighting-only wire for the taillight or brake light.
I have a diagram for a TS185A (the 250 will probably be identical) that shows a brown with white tracer wire with a double female bullet terminal in the headlight running back to a single female bullet terminal by the regulator/rectifier......but it is NOT connected to anything. As you know, these bikes came equipped with different trim items for different markets....but the wiring harnesses are usually all the same so that no matter which market the bike is built for it has all the wiring needed. I wouldn't worry about it since it's probably not necessary for proper operation.
My .02.....
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Well it appears I have got one

Post by Admin »

OK so it is not a butch 400cc TS or Yam DT but it is a Suzuki.

Just purchased this on UK eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... CA:GB:1123

I have no idea if this was a steal or if I have been taken to the cleaners :lol:

Still it seems to be (mostly) all there and with the stated faults easily fixable. Time will tell when I get it back and give it a good going over.

Be prepared for a few dumbass questions on the TS125C :grin: :grin: :grin:

Cheers Zunspec
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

for that price I think you've done alright out of it.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Hmmm....that model designation and year listed make no sense. The "C" models were, officially, 1978 year models NOT 1981. It would be interesting to know the build date on the frame sticker. This may be another of those weird UK things where the bike model year is classed by the year of first registration. That REALLY confuses things for the rest of the world and the resto market. As well, the official 1980 and later models had the case reed valve setup and your engine shows no evidence of this in the pics as far as I can see. These case reed engined bikes were designated TS125ER.
Strange also that it has a low mounted chrome fender. Maybe for the UK only ?? Or has someone changed the front end ?? All the North American bikes had the high mount plastic fender in matching body colour.
The original TS125 of 1971 was a dandy little bike....basically the same design as the 185 and 250 of that era....just scaled down with a low mount exhaust. They were tough bikes and could take a lot of punishment. The upgrade from the rotary valve 120 engine to the piston ported 125 was a wise decision, IMO.
The 125 you bought is very similar in design to the early engines although I wouldn't think that there are a lot of interchangeable parts because the 125 was redesigned for the 1977 model year, IIRC.
Maybe the "magneto problem" is just down to cleaning/replacing the points and setting the timing. These bikes have as simple an ignition system as you can find.
Once she's running, Zunspec, I think you'll enjoy the old girl. they make a great little runaround bike and get great gas mileage......well, when compared to the Suzi Triples.....or my H2.
:lol: :lol:
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

It looks a bit like this (alleged) 1978 bike:

http://www.vintagebike.co.uk/Bike%20Dir ... 125-78.htm

or maybe this one:

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~paulx ... sidebb.jpg

I think the low front mudguard is a UK thing, they were not really expected to go off road over here.

Ahh, the first stage of any project "just what in hell have I actually bought" :lol: :lol:

Cheers Zunspec