The TC50 Story

General discussion about Offroad two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

rflemann
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1972 TS50 Caucho

The TC50 Story

Post by rflemann »

I was the summer of 1971, I was a 13 year old boy living with my family on the west side of Little Rock, Arkansas. Back then, the State of Arkansas would allow those under 16 years to drive motorcycle up I think 500cc. So there were lots of kids with smaller motorcycles everywhere.
One day, sitting on front steps of our home I hear a 2 stroke motorcycle coming up our street. When it came closer, I saw what may have been the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. It was a fairly new, Suzuki, but smaller than my friend across the street had, as his was a 1970 TS90 Honcho.
This motorcycle would be perfect for me, size and performance. I found out a day or two later it was a 1971 TS50 Gaucho. It was the the only thing in the world i wanted. I felt as If I already had everything else in life. But this was different, I yearned for it, laid awake at night wanting it. I will never forget that day in Little Rock when I was 13.
So a couple of days ago I was looking to sell a Vespa Moped I had purchased from a neighbor for $200. It ran really good, looked ok for a 1978. But it didn't really trip my trigger. I had never owned a motorcycle after all these years, and I had owned the Vespa for 8 days but I always had a soft spot in my heart for the Suzuki 2 stroke street/trail bikes made from 1969 to 1976, 250 cc and under.
While looking on Facebook Marketplace last Thursday to sell the Vespa, I type in Suzuki and BINGO......I found a 1972 Suzuki TS50 "for Trade"!!!!! A guy had it listed, said it would run but no throttle cable and rusted fuel tank. After 50 years I finally got my first motorcycle...and the dream I had as a 13 year old boy. Its in the garage now, and I think getting it running and restoring it may be more fun than riding it. Maybe tomorrow I will push it out into my front yard and I will sit on my front steps and just admire it. And feel 13 again.
rflemann
Still in the Driveway

Re: The TC50 Story

Post by rflemann »

I am going to need a lot of help and advice during restoration. Right now I need a throttle cable real bad, I been looking all over the internet and not any luck yet. Also, the fuel petcock assembly, too. Please let me know any ideas and leads you may have.
I will try to post pictures tomorrow! thanks!
jsjays1
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1969 T350

Post by jsjays1 »

Hey rflemann,

Congrats on the find! Those machines look like a lot of fun; I'd love to see a picture when you get a chance to upload.

I don't know the TS50 at all, but for sourcing NOS/used parts on my '69 T350 I've pretty much used PartZilla & eBay here in the US. Lot's of old stock still floating on the internet, and through Partzilla you have component diagrams cross-referenced to the latest revision Suzuki P/N's, with many of the nuts/bolts/seals still in stock even today.

That said... I didn't see much available for the specific throttle cable on your bike - maybe there's a similar model's cable that would work? You could probably find that out with some research or with help from the more experienced people on the site. Plenty of aftermarket options listed on eBay for the petcock (44300-05115), which could be worth taking a chance on.

Good luck with the project!
jsjays1
On the street

Post by jsjays1 »

*I should have also added - a good amount of the parts that I've purchased on eBay have come from Paul Miller up in Berlin, CT (https://www.ebay.com/usr/jrwdfa/)

My impression is that his business has quite of lot of old stock Suzuki parts, not all of which may be listed online for sale yet. You might be able to contact his business for something hard to find if you specifically wanted original parts. Though I'm sure there's plenty of ways to make do with what else is available online.
rflemann
Still in the Driveway

Post by rflemann »

J
Thanks for your reply and attention. I ordered a throttle cable from Partszilla for a '72 125cc and it is VERY close to what i need
BUT I took the Labor Day and I been working on it. I think I can fix the cable myself! I also ordered a petcock from Thailand but it won't be here till late this month. I took the carburetor cover off and the carb looks clean and great. I am having a ball!
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

Nice tale! :clap:
Hopefully you are still a similar size to when the story started, or you may be a tad underwhelmed with the performance. I weighed about a hundred pounds back in 1967 when I got my first bike..... :roll:
Good luck with the resto though and don't forget to post pictures.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
jsjays1
On the street

Post by jsjays1 »

No problem, glad that the advice might help! Enjoy the repair journey :D

And I reckon Alan's right about the performance limitations..... but I do think you'll be hitting a higher top speed on the Gaucho than if you had stuck with the moped haha
rflemann
Still in the Driveway

Post by rflemann »

Picture just after I got it and did a quick power wash. The throttle cable was broken inside the throttle grip and I fixed it late yesterday. Waiting for a new inner tube for rear tire, should be here Friday. I am having a ball just working on it. My 1st motorcycle and working on it I have found it to be easy to work on and fairly simple. More later as I progress.
TS50.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jsjays1
On the street

Post by jsjays1 »

Looks great rflemann - hope to hear that it's running soon!

Incidentally, my '69 T350 is also my first motorcycle and I think I had the same experience as you're having - I love how purpose built these machines are and how hardly anything gets in the way of disassembly and maintenance. Compared to all the work I've done on cars over the years..... well, let's just say I appreciate the simplicity of an old bike :D
rflemann
Still in the Driveway

Post by rflemann »

Thanks, JsJy!
I checked the spark today and it is STRONG. After fixing the throttle cable at the twist grip, I only have a few more issues to address:
1) fuel petcock.....had to order one, close aftermarket from Tailand. Should be here in 2 weeks. $33.
2) Fuel tank has bad rust. I ordered a gallon of "Evapo Rust" and I am going to treat it with that. $23 from HomeDepot
3) Rear Tire inner Tube. Should be here tomorrow. $14 but is a 3.00 x17 and tire is 2.5x17 I hope I can stuff it and and it works.
Thats all I can find that I need to do to get it running.
Stand by for more of my progress.
Thanks!