crankcase sealer

General discussion about Offroad two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

chuben
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: TS185, TM250

crankcase sealer

Post by chuben »

I'm rebuilding the lower end of my ts 185 and was wondering what gasket sealer works best. I had ordered some threebond but by the time i got around to using it it had turned to a gum consistency. I do have some loctite 518, an anaerobic sealer, would this work? Also, do you put sealer on one side of the gasket or both?
sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

Re: crankcase sealer

Post by sportston »

chuben wrote:I'm rebuilding the lower end of my ts 185 and was wondering what gasket sealer works best. I had ordered some threebond but by the time i got around to using it it had turned to a gum consistency. I do have some loctite 518, an anaerobic sealer, would this work? Also, do you put sealer on one side of the gasket or both?
A thin smear on both sides. I'd get a new tube of threebond and use that. Its what the manufacturers use and sell. Don't over-apply it. You don't need to spread it on like butter-icing.

Loctite 518 has only 60% of original strength after 100 hours exposed to petrol according to their data. http://www.hardwarespecialty.com/new/pd ... _sheet.pdf

So petrol/gasoline seriously weakens it, after as little as 4 days. That doesn't instill me with enough confidence to use it on my crankcases or recommend anyone else to do so. It might be ok on a 4-stroke engine casing, but on a 2-stroke it will come into contact with a far higher concentration of petrol.

I'm not sure how that stacks up to Threebond, but at least we know Threebond works as it has been used by 2-stroke motorcycle manufacturers for decades.
chuben
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: TS185, TM250

Post by chuben »

Thanks, I'll pick up some threebond. Isn't there several varieties of threebond?
sportston
Expert racer

Post by sportston »

chuben wrote:Thanks, I'll pick up some threebond. Isn't there several varieties of threebond?
Yes there are. Normally you would need Threebond TB1184 if you want grey sealant. But if you want black sealant get Threebond TB1184E, it is the same stuff but different colour.
dollydog
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: several gt250 ramairs

Post by dollydog »

personally i'd wait for the 3 bond, but you could try this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wellseal-Gask ... PnwQr8O0QA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
it needs to go on all surfaces though, otherwise the gasket will stick, instead of prying apart easily :)
cheers, dd.
GTS250 road registered. TS250 engine, Ramair frame.
GT250 big bang road registered. Both pistons fire the same time. USD forks.
GT285 road registered. Overbored - 58mm and TS125 +2 pistons fitted.
GT10 road registered. '65 T10 engine, GT250 frame.
sportston
Expert racer

Post by sportston »

Yes Wellseal can be very good stuff, but only on very small gaps. I wouldn't recommend it if your mating surface is badly scratched from past meathead prying. And I'd still suggest you use Threebond instead.
P.S. Wellseal is also very sticky stuff, so make sure to have some solvent ready to clean off your hands if ever you use it.