Suzuki TS 50 Gaucho

General discussion about Offroad two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Motoduc84
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suzuki TS 125, TS 50, MT 50

Suzuki TS 50 Gaucho

Post by Motoduc84 »

Greetings! New to the group here!

I recently acquired a 1973 Suzuki TS 50 Gaucho with just over 1000 miles on it. A clean little bike, but has sat for many years and needs some attention. A couple of questions:

1. Is the exhaust baffle on this bike removeable? I tried, but it didn't want to come free and I didn't want to bend the end of the baffle by using excessive force? Any insight?

2. The bike runs pretty well, but the cold start plunger is confusing. Maybe it is my imagination, but it seems to run better in the "S" position, which I assume is for "Start." It is possible that the air screw position could be affecting this? I have it set to factory spec of 1.5 turns out.

I have a few other questions...will post as I figure this out. Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ConnerVT
Novice racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R (now), T500M (40 yrs ago)

Re: Suzuki TS 50 Gaucho

Post by ConnerVT »

I'll offer my insight, with the disclaimer that I have likely never seen a TS50. But I imaging that it is constructed similar to the other offering which Suzuki made in the 1970's. Use what I write as a guideline, not as gospel.

> The baffle should be removable. There is likely one screw, at the end of the pipe, which goes through the exhaust and the baffle. After sitting a number of years, oil, carbon, and rust can make them stick like hell. Heat is a good solution. A propane plumber's torch (directed at the baffle) may help. Thick gloves and a pair of pliers are mandatory here.

I had them stuck on my T500. I had failed to put the holding screw back in (the baffles weren't going anywhere). Had one come out on a ride a year later.

> If the bike runs better with the enricher circuit on, my first thought is a (partially?) blocked idle circuit. Not uncommon for a bike that has sat for a number of years. Removing the carbs, disassembling them, and giving all a thorough cleaning, is what is required here. Sounds more complicated that it really is.
Motoduc84
Still in the Driveway

Post by Motoduc84 »

Thanks for your response. I love that Titan, btw.

I think I have the cold plunger figured out. And I will go after that baffle...thanks.

The bike seems to run fairly well. A bit sluggish from idle, but fairly strong afterward. One thing I haven't checked is the timing...which I know is elementary. I will give that a shot and get back to all with the results.
joolstacho
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: AS50, GS500, GT500, ex GSXR750 slabbie

Post by joolstacho »

Motoduc, I've just encountered a choke lever problem.
I've run a couple of TL trials bikes for years, which have choke lever (on carb) UP for choke ON.
I've been so used to this that without thinking about it, I've been running my newly restored GT500 using the same choke 'direction'.
When in fact it is opposite, on the GT choke off is lever up.
Been wondering why the thing wouldn't run cleanly. Now I've realised my stupidity, lever in the correct position and it's running beautifully (and I need to thrash it up the road quickly)!!!

(Durrgh)
Motoduc84
Still in the Driveway

Post by Motoduc84 »

joolstacho wrote:Motoduc, I've just encountered a choke lever problem.
I've run a couple of TL trials bikes for years, which have choke lever (on carb) UP for choke ON.
I've been so used to this that without thinking about it, I've been running my newly restored GT500 using the same choke 'direction'.
When in fact it is opposite, on the GT choke off is lever up.
Been wondering why the thing wouldn't run cleanly. Now I've realised my stupidity, lever in the correct position and it's running beautifully (and I need to thrash it up the road quickly)!!!

(Durrgh)
I will see your move...and raise you one: I spent all summer trying to figure out why my daughter's Honda XL 100 wouldn't run properly with the choke "off." I even bought a new carburetor. No luck...no change. Took it off, stared at its throat, turned the choke "on" and saw that my thinking was backward. All of my Yamahas had Mikunis which required the choke lever to be pressed down for on...up position was off. Honda...backwards!
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: suzuki gt 550j

Post by GTandcbr »

Here you go
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/S ... parts.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
98 carb Blackbird and GT550j
MikeH1A
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by MikeH1A »

I love these little fellas! This was the bike that got me into motorcycling. Sadly, you can't get them for love nor money down here anymore - just not available.

When I was about 13, my older mate bought one as his first bike. We took it down to the beach one day and did some pretend off-road riding. After about 20 minutes some bloke in full patched regalia came bounding across the sand waving a very large hunk of wood above his head saying "I'd like a ride". We looked in the direction he'd just come from and sure enough the rest of the bikie gang were setting up camp (all British bikes in those days) for a boozy afternoon. So, feeling more than a little intimidated, we youngsters obliged and silently watched as the bugger consistently revved the wee motor way beyond it's red line and turned doughnuts in the sand until he'd had enough fun. He then just put it on the side stand and headed back from whence he came.

The Gaucho took it all in its stride and provided many more miles of fun for the both of us! :lol: 8)
Burt Munro + John Britten + Kim Newcombe + Ivan Mauger = Kiwi Street Cred

72 GT750J
71 TS250R
71 H1A