1980 Suzuki RS250_Survivor

General discussion about Offroad two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

steezin_and_wheezin
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550, GS500's, DRZ's, FZ50

1980 Suzuki RS250_Survivor

Post by steezin_and_wheezin »

Greetings all. Since being pretty disappointed with the power output of the TS' I've owned - I have been hunting for a title-able 250cc two stroke thumper. Enjoyed the ride of my old drz400sm and have the itch to build a decent little 2t SuMo suzuki. Not many available candidates around for a solid foundation though. I was nearly to the point of buying an RM and figuring out a chassis to attempt knifing the RM engine into. After more relentless searching - I stumbled onto a great condition(almost too nice) '80 RS250. Done deal, when my schedule allowed I was over in central VA loading her on my trailer. Unfortunately the title was toast when the previous buyer bought it off the original owner, literally rotted away and was made into a lovely rats nest in the old guys filing cabinet. I have her going through the system now and shouldn't have any issue getting clean papers for it. Nearly 100% original, with OG head/tail lights! Only a new rear tire, intake boot clamp, grips, and a couple bits of hardware are not original. Tank and front fender have had the hazing knocked off and I'll finish out restoring the side plastics and rear fender as time allows.

The RS is a 'parts bin' bike, made from what's left before Suzuki switched to the mono shocked RM/PE's. Pulled this from Wiki, but am always doing more research, "These had detuned PE engines (milder porting and smaller carburetors), softer suspension, RM125N frame geometry, steel (RM100T) swing-arm, DS series lighting and a small RM fuel tank, DR400 forks." However, it was a very well done bike and suits my needs perfectly. I've heard rumors(will be doing more digging later) that there was only 500 of these put together. Meet #277;

Got her home the only hiccup I saw was my right fork seal is seeping a bit, needs a new air filter before any serious riding, and previous owner said it could probably stand to have the reeds replaced. Replacing reeds is a bit tougher with them being under the cylinder.. Need to get my head wrapped around the tech before attempting to pull the jug. With it being so original I really don't want to chop her up at all, which kind of kill the whole reason I got it haha. I'm not one that keeps a beauty like this sitting for too long. I buy my bikes to ride and enjoy as they were intended it. I'm thinking if the dimensions are close I'll swap on a newer inverted DR front end and keep the OG around to put back to original if needed. I live in a small city with limited woods so a street bike is more desirable for me than they dirt/dualie. Doubt I'll dig in too deep now, but couldn't be happier with 1 more suzuki in the stable!
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Re: 1980 Suzuki RS250_Survivor

Post by rngdng »

I would love to have one of those. Congrats!!!!

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........