73 Suzuki TS185 clutch

General discussion about Offroad two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Gord
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 73 Suzuki TS185

73 Suzuki TS185 clutch

Post by Gord »

Hi folks. New to the board here.
I have a 1973 Suzuki TS185 that has been taken out of dry storage. When last run the clutch was slipping. I cleaned out the bottom end with kerosene and replaced the friction plates with new ones. I also put in fresh 80 weight Bel Ray Gear Saver. No change whatsoever. The clutch still slips. It feels like it slips, then grabs, then slips again. Kind of a slip, grab and go, then slip again situation. Just wondering what I should look at next.
As I said above. There was no difference at all with the new clutch plates. Didn't even get a little bit better.
Thank you.
ConnerVT
Novice racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R (now), T500M (40 yrs ago)

Re: 73 Suzuki TS185 clutch

Post by ConnerVT »

Clutch springs weak?
Clutch release binding?
Adjusted correctly?
Correct clutch push rods? (Don't know what work has been done on your bike)
Gord
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 73 Suzuki TS185

Re: 73 Suzuki TS185 clutch

Post by Gord »

Thanks for the reply. Nothing has been done to the bike. Everything is bone stock from the factory. It was my Dad's bike. He rode it back in the 70's with no issues. It was put away in his garage when the clutch started slipping and never touched since. I dragged it out to fix it up for my daughter and can't quite figure out this clutch situation. I just figured it was the plates. When replacing the plates made no difference at all, I was stumped. Going to take a look at the push rods next to see if they are bent or obstructed somehow. One thing is for sure. The inside of the cases are extremely clean for sitting so long.