TS250 Rear Hub Query

General discussion about Offroad two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

MikeH1A
Yeah Man, the Interstate

TS250 Rear Hub Query

Post by MikeH1A »

When polishing my girl recently, I noticed the rear sprocket and carrier moved a bit (back and forth and in and out). I pulled the wheel off and found that the cush rubbers were not holding the sprocket carrier firmly so thought I'd get some new ones. The bike is a 71 model so I ordered what I thought were the correct ones off ebay. The part number ends in -30000 but these ones are 30002 - I assumed the 2 just meant a superceded part or something. Anyhow, now I have them, they are too small for the spaces in the hub and the lugs on the sprocket carrier are too big for the recesses in the new rubbers.

I am confused at this point ( not too unusual for me perhaps :? ) and am wondering if the PO had rebuilt the beast with a different hub and sprocket assembly etc. Is there a way of determining if my rear hub and sprocket carrier are correct or off a different model? I'd like to sort things and get the slop taken out so I can ride her with a bit more gusto.

Thanks in advonce
Burt Munro + John Britten + Kim Newcombe + Ivan Mauger = Kiwi Street Cred

72 GT750J
71 TS250R
71 H1A
Sandman
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: TS100 TS125 TM125 RM125

Re: TS250 Rear Hub Query

Post by Sandman »

Rear hub cush rubber wear is an all too common issue on all 1970's Suzuki TS models. It does certainly sound as though your replacement bits are incorrect- that's far more likely to have happened than the previous owner replacing the hub and sprocket carrier.

What I've done since my first TS125 in 1973, is shim the cush rubbers out so that there's little slop left in the sprocket carrier. I did a test on one sector with some cut small metal flat stock until the fit was just snug for the hub to slide in.
Then it's just a matter of repeating for the remaining 5 sectors, gluing them to the old cush inner surface. You have to epoxy or glue them in to an inner flat or they all fall over, you can never slide the sprocket over all the bits otherwise.

Cheap and effective!
joethebike
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suzuki T20-250-350-500

Post by joethebike »

Another way of doing the shimming is to use inner tube rubber sections cut out to fit down beside the cush drive rubber and the alloy housing. I glued mine in with Shoegoo and the T350 is as good as new.
1972 Suzuki T350 160,000km +2 Castrol 6 Hour races
1982 Honda CX500 EC 272,700km
2005 Suzuki DL650 145,000km
MikeH1A
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by MikeH1A »

Cunning ideas! Thanks for the options. I have been struggling to find rubbers that fit. I have found ones the same as are currently in there but that doesn't really advance me much. Perhaps it is time to get inventive.
Burt Munro + John Britten + Kim Newcombe + Ivan Mauger = Kiwi Street Cred

72 GT750J
71 TS250R
71 H1A