ts400 transmission

General discussion about Offroad two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

scot511
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1972 ts400

ts400 transmission

Post by scot511 »

I recently finished my 1972 TS400 street tracker. It's a great bike, fast and fun to ride. But - even geared 17/40, it's really working hard to keep up with 60 mph traffic which is normal everywhere here in charlotte. Plus it gets terrible gas mileage! I'm curious - has anyone here ever tried fitting gearsets from a Suzuki street bike of similar vintage to make for a higher final drive ratio? Anybody know if the bigger street bikes used the same countershaft and mainshaft diameter/spline measurements?

When I put my tranny back together, I could not find a proper bearing for the LH side of the the shift drum, and it went back together a bit looser that I would have liked. It does not shift as nice as I think it should - it's easy to get a false neutral if you are not deliberate when you shift. Is the worn shift drum bearing the likely culprit here? Or maybe the indexing ball/spring is weak? Everything else was in excellent shape, the forks and cogs showed no wear at all. Thanks...
TIKI
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: TM400R

Re: ts400 transmission

Post by TIKI »

Sorry I can't help you with your question but I sure would like to see some pictures of your bike, sounds like a great project.
scot511
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1972 ts400

Post by scot511 »

I don't have an image that'll post here - all too big. But there are some photos of the bike in it's current incarnation on my instagram page @s1154. Feedback appreciated.
ConnerVT
Novice racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R (now), T500M (40 yrs ago)

Post by ConnerVT »

You just are going to confuse the people here, sending them to Instagram.

This is your bike, isn't it?

Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

If you (or anyone else) would like a copy of a 1972 Suzuki service manual that I scanned (I have the original bought in 1972!!) with settings, jets, gearing, timing details etc. etc. for ALL Suzukis R,J,K models, then PM me your email address and I'll send a copy FOC.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
soloZ06
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT 250

Post by soloZ06 »

I've been looking for a beat up TS 400 to make a tracker out of. That pipe is AWESOME! :clap: