1981 TS125 ignition wire color question

General discussion about Offroad two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Holybreakfast
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1981 Ts125

1981 TS125 ignition wire color question

Post by Holybreakfast »

Hello all,

I recently picked up a 1981 TS125 project, and can't get it to spark. It looks to me like the p.o. Was attempting to splice together two different styles of components, unsuccessfully, but after looking around the web, I'm not really sure what I have here. I'm looking to just make it run for off-road use, so don't need to worry about the lighting circuits.

Here is where I'm confused-
My stator output wires are colored as follows: red/white, black/yellow, yellow/white, and yellow/red.
My cdi input wires are colored: red/white, red/black, and black/white

Seems to me I should be able to ignore the two yellow wires, as I'm guessing they are for lights, but I don't think my cdi box likes just the red wire and ground going in.

All the diagrams I've seen for this year ts do not show my stator wire colors. I've also yet to find a cdi unit with my same stator wire colors.

Has anyone else seen this? Is there a way to make this setup work? I have been attempting to wire what I have in various combinations to no avail. Or Does anyone know of an easy alternative cdi that I can plug into this scenario?

I did find the ignition coil to be bad...replaced it with a new one and still no luck.
Any light shed on this would be appreciated.
Here is my same stator:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-NOS-STAT ... 9a&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;