First day out

All to do with wiring, charging or just trying to figure out whats gone wrong.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Jakeyz333
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1975 Suzuki t500

Re: First day out

Post by Jakeyz333 »

Loose wires I have a female white/w red sleeve;brown female (which is live when dimmer switch is active);both a green and blue male for red light on top of the headlight. Those are really it except for the halogen headlight that someone put on here from a different bike, which has a loose female black and a loose female white. I'm just mainly concerned about this kick back I've heard of broken legs and ankles and that sounds like no fun. What would cause it to do that?. With battery at 12.5~ I'm getting about ~9.5 @ the coils. When i unplugged the white that was with orange/w I'm not getting anything at the coils so that's correct. It doesn't kick back with those wires disconnected either. But when I connect the white w red sleeve to the o/w it seems to give me voltage and spark but kicks back hard. Is it possible the timing got thrown off somehow?
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Post by jabcb »

Now have power to the coils & are making headway. :up:

Depending on the voltage drop from the battery to the coils, it may be necessary to clean the kill switch or connectors.
What is the battery voltage when you have the key on & providing power to everything?
(When you have ~9.5V at the coil what is the battery voltage?)

Am busy today -- might not be able to look into this further until tomorrow.

Might be a good idea to start another topic & ask about the kickback there.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
Jakeyz333
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1975 Suzuki t500

Post by Jakeyz333 »

Oh man. I got it started and all back together. I had it sitting at idle at the end of my driveway for about 5 minutes. I got out of the neighborhood and half way down the street and felt all the power leaving. So I pull into a side street bike dead clutch in hand. Struggle back into neutral.try to start it and nothing. Pushed the damn thing all the way back home and the battery voltage is fine. My 15 or 20 amp fuse was a little cracked before but now it's shattered and is bent..

So I got a new fuse that didn't fix it. I took the headlamp apart and then tried to kick it and it kicked back on me. I had 12.6 on the battery BTW... So I figured since it started last time when it tried to kick back that it would so I decided to try and find the problem in the headlight bucket. Didn't do anything just looked and returned to try and start it...no kick back no spark.... So now I'm getting power on and off. My neighbor thinking I'm grounding out somewhere In the headlamp...anything that could be contacting has a rubber boot as well as electrical tape...any ideas.

Turns out the orange connection wasn't clamped correctly by my neighbor I reconnected it fired it up did a few laps.. Had to conquer the spot that took me out earlier and brought it home. Seems fine now. I can't express my thanks for you jabcb I wish I could buy you dinner. Thank you and I'm sure I'll be back to the forum soon