First day out

All to do with wiring, charging or just trying to figure out whats gone wrong.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Jakeyz333
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1975 Suzuki t500

First day out

Post by Jakeyz333 »

Ive been struggling with this bike and all the paper work for a little over two years now. Today was the maiden voyage on the street. All seemed to be fine short of my tuning capabilities when it comes to carburetors but im learning. After work i went to go home and it was about midnight so i turned the lights on and the headlamp was very dim and if i switch to high beams the headlight goes off and the red light lights up on the tach. Also im not sure if the bike has tach and speedo lamps or not, if so they are not working either, bike seems to be a mess on wiring. Either way i removed the headlight bezel and realized how loose all the screws were. I tightened it down and tried the light and it was much brighter and seemed healthy, as for the gauge lights (if any) nothing, and high seems to dim the headlight. Any advice is greatly appreciated. - thanks jacob
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Re: First day out

Post by Alan H »

Sounds like you need to check the bike is charging and clean EVERY connection especially the earths. Just take each connection apart individually, clean it and put it back. Do you have a multimeter?
Put it on DC volts and connect it across the battery with the engine running. What does it read? Rev the engine to about 3-3500 and see what it reads. Make sure the battery has acid/water in between the min and max lines.
The main beam is a higher wattage than dip so if you have poor connections/dud battery/not charging that's why it goes very dim.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
dyrberg123
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T350 GT750 T125 RG250 RD125lc RD350lc RD400

Post by dyrberg123 »

Are you sure the wires for high and low havn't been switched? Have you a wire diagram avalible? That could be helpfull, if not there is a thread inhere some where with most bikes. Just can't find it now :roll: If any one havn't found it before monday when i am back at Work i can scan in a copy of mine. Have you checked that the dim actually goes out when you put on high, i have tried a bike where when high was turned on dim didn't go off, taking so much power togheter is gave less light as dim alone. I think it was a ground problem..
If it's not broken - don't fix it. Why not?
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

This might help. Favourites are poor connections/earths and failing/dry battery.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
Fritz500
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suzuki TS90, TS250, T500 (4), GT750

Post by Fritz500 »

Don't use that previous diagram. Way too confusing. Use this one. Uses everyday terms and none of that "correct electrical terminology" nonsense.

:up:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
73 GT750 Ducati - 20%
72 T500J - 95%
09 Yam XVS950A
81 Yam XV920 - cafe conversion - 90%

“Anyone who believes a perpetual motion machine is impossible has no imagination; anyone who thinks it is possible has no education.” Adam Peenum
dyrberg123
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T350 GT750 T125 RG250 RD125lc RD350lc RD400

Post by dyrberg123 »

You just made me laugh :clap: . That could also come in handy for Jacob, as often electrical problems ain't that funny. :evil: :evil: :evil:
If it's not broken - don't fix it. Why not?
Hal_396
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T-500

Post by Hal_396 »

Fritz500 wrote:Don't use that previous diagram. Way too confusing. Use this one. Uses everyday terms and none of that "correct electrical terminology" nonsense.
Now that is funny :P
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Post by jabcb »

LOL (by an old person who shouldn't really be using it)
Moral rectifier … got to keep those electrons going where they should.

More seriously, first steps:
Charge up your battery. no point in ruining the battery while you figure out whats wrong.

As Alan suggested, check voltage at battery.
With light off: engine off, @ idle, & at higher rpm
With lights on: repeat.

The alternator has separate charging coil & lighting coil.
So everything might be ok when lights are off, but not when lights are on.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
Jakeyz333
Around the block

Post by Jakeyz333 »

I got 12.82 with engine and lights off and 12.69 with lights on low beams. And for some reason I now cannot get the bike started at all. It started fine yesterday after work and I just now tried it again. Any ideas? *update I got the headlight working now the bike just won't start. What could have caused this I've been only in the headlight bucket the whole time.
jabcb
Moto GP

Post by jabcb »

on charging…..
Those voltage numbers are reasonable for low rpm (~ @ idle).

With a fully charged battery, the voltage will gradually rise as you increase rpm.
With lights on you should get over 14V at 5k rpm.

on not starting…..
Make sure you still have a spark.
You may have dome something to the ignition wiring when you worked on the headlight wiring.

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T350 69 & 71
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
Jakeyz333
Around the block

Post by Jakeyz333 »

What exactly could I have done to the ignition wiring. Its kind of a wiring nightmare this thing.. And now I'm back to no headlight and no ignition. This just purely makes absolutely no sense.. I didn't disconnect anything or pull anything apart that wasn't already disconnected.
If you guys haven't seen my other post about the bike shop really giving it to me good...the wiring they did for the turn signals is absolutely ridiculous and I'm starting to get really upset with them. My mailman (funny story) knows a guy who worked on these bikes overseas. He's coming over next Sunday to really give it a once over and go thru the list from the bike shop item by item to see if they really did what they said. If it turns out all they did was put tires turn signals and a chain on it (which is what its starting to look like) might be in for the small claims court. Regardless I hope to have this headlight and running issue solved before then. Thanks guys
titan performance
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: TS100, T200, GT250, T500, GT500, GT550, GT750, GS750

Post by titan performance »

So what did you actually do to get the headlamp functioning Jake? You said you got it working, but didn't say how?
It sounds like loose or dirty connection/s somewhere, which can be a sod to find.....but on the bright side, these bikes are quite straight forward. I had similar issues once, when the 4 wire block connector on the back of the ignition switch went bad.......I ended taking one of the wires out of the block and by-passing it.
Keeping old 2 strokes alive !
Jakeyz333
Around the block

Post by Jakeyz333 »

II found looseconnections a white wire with a red sleeve on it and connected that as well as a single male connector black with white. I'm not sure which on it was but the headlight seemed to be functioning. As I returned this morning I can no longer get the headlight to illuminate nor can I get the bike started whatsoever. I know its something in the headlight bucket. I have picture but I can't upload says its too big. I'm getting tail lights and turn signals. But no headlight. There is also an orange with with a dual female connection which is completely disconnected and no orange wires to be found. I think I may have disconnected the wiring from the off/run switch. Not 100% sure though. Not very wise with wiring.
Jakeyz333
Around the block

Post by Jakeyz333 »

Anyone have any ideas for me?
jabcb
Moto GP

Post by jabcb »

The unswitched hot wire from the battery + terminal is red.
That goes to the ignition switch.
The switched hot wires that power the bike are orange.

The orange wires in your headlight bucket are part of the network of orange wires that are switched hot wires.

The wiring diagram in this topic is for an early T500 that does not have a engine kill switch.
The diagram shown below is for a newer T500 with the kill switch.

I suspect that you are right in that the wires in the headlight bucket are not connected correctly.
Would be really useful to see pics of what you have.

Try using Microsoft Paint to reduce the pic size so you can upload them.
Or create a Photobucket account & upload your pics to that site. You can then provide links to those pics.

Sorry for the bad pic:

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T350 69 & 71
09 Triumph Bonneville SE