Battery depleting while on interstate

All to do with wiring, charging or just trying to figure out whats gone wrong.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

pearljam724
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 75- GT 550 / 76- GT 750

Re: Battery depleting while on interstate

Post by pearljam724 »

Cragdog wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... ink:top:en

Wow, this price looks too good to be true, but then again it is coming from China... The description sounds promising however.
Combined voltage regulator / rectifier direct replacement for Suzuki GT triples.
I bought that same unit for my 750, from the same seller. Fast shipping. It works. But, you have to remove both connectors that it comes with and install your original ones on it. The ones it comes with has plastic tits sticking out on the interior, where the terminals are inserted. Those tits, will not allow good contact. Definitely, worth the money. Especially, comparing to what other people sell them for.
Image Image
Cragdog
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550L, PE250B, RM250N

Post by Cragdog »

Thanks guys for all the great tips! I will get on top of the further tests tomorrow and let you know how it goes. Hopefully by Sunday I can go for at least a short little cruise to test it all put again.
If you like it, then you should ride it.

1974 Suzuki GT550
1977 Suzuki PE250
1992 Suzuki RM250
1988 Yamaha YZ250
1970 Honda CB750 K0
Cragdog
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550L, PE250B, RM250N

Post by Cragdog »

I was going through the electrical a little more today and saw that one of the connections for the rectifier was not making contact with the red wire. It had begun to back itself out out the connector. (Upper left slot)
Since that red wire is what goes back to the battery I could see how I was losing charge and why my multimeter was jumping all over the range, it was probably not sending much AC current to the battery if any at all. I bent the tang on the connector so it wouldn't slide out of place again and put everything back together to see if that solved my problem. Took the bike out for a ride around town and brought it back to check the battery. It seems to be holding a good charge, when I left it was at 13.0 and when I got back it was at 13.1.
I tested the battery again while at 3.5k rpm and it didn't seem to be jumping anymore, and for the most part was showing a consistent 13.5v.
Sometimes it's the simple things I guess. :lol:
If you like it, then you should ride it.

1974 Suzuki GT550
1977 Suzuki PE250
1992 Suzuki RM250
1988 Yamaha YZ250
1970 Honda CB750 K0