Relay for the ignition

All to do with wiring, charging or just trying to figure out whats gone wrong.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Allan k
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT125 SV650 GT550

Relay for the ignition

Post by Allan k »

I just added a small automotive 30amp relay, to give the ignition coils direct current from the battery. The voltage increase to the coils was about 0,5volt. Maybe not much, but combined with the new plug leads, and new wiring from the points and the coils, i hope it will give a small increase in performance.

The relay fits right behind the coils.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2-strokes are full of speed,
4-strokes are full of parts!
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Re: Relay for the ignition

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

A few folks I know have done the same mod - if nothing else, it unloads the current draw through the front wiring harness which can't be a bad thing. 8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
CBWELLS
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Honda-350, SUZUKI GT550 x2, GS850, 92 VMAX,

Post by CBWELLS »

Just an FYI: Whenever you attach anything directly to the battery, it's a good idea to put a fuse in line as the first component. Without a fuse, the circuit is subject to catastrophic failure (read FIRE) if the wire should become shorted to chassis.

Of course you'll probably say, "Yeah, but what about the wire to the fuse? That one isn't protected!" Certainly true, but that's why ya keep the lead length to the fuse as short as possible.... to reduce its exposure. Lastly, if ya DO add a fuse & associated wire(s), you'll probably introduce more than a 0.5v loss in your new circuit with those parts. So your gain will be pretty much wiped out. You make your own judgement as to the relative odds of risk/benefit value.

Like they say, "Just sayin'!"
Allan DK
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 76 GT125 00 SV650 74 GT 550

Post by Allan DK »

A fuse will be added, for safety reason. Once added I will meassure the voltage loss.

Thanks for input.
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

I added an in line fuse and relay to the ignition circuit of a GT750 and not only does it reduce the voltage drop but it also reduces the load and heat in the kill switch and main switch and it reduces overcharging. It's a win-win with no downside.
Suzsmokeyallan
Moto GP
Location: Mostly Barbados, sometimes Florida and western Canada

Post by Suzsmokeyallan »

While you're at it remove and clean all the contacts within the ignitions system and use dielectric grease in the cavities. Check the coil connectors six pin unit as well as the nine pin unit and the main harness three wire junction as well as the ignition switch connector,, you see where this is going. Clean and grease them all for proper continuity, you may suddenly add 0.5 volts in the process.
Have you flushed the ignition switch base contacts through the hole under the boot?? doing that and putting in some of the same dielectric grease is cheap insurance.
Two strokes, its just that simple.

69 Suz U70
69 Suz T500
72 Suz GT750 cafe
74 Suz TS250
74 Suz GTXVR project
75 Suz RE5
75 Suz GT750
76 Suz TS400
76 Suz GT750
81 Suz GSX1100
86 Suz RG500x2
88 Hon CR500
93 Hon CBR900RR
98 Suz GSF1200x3
15 Kaw Ninja H2
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

Some soft rubber between the relay and frame will stop any chance of it 'chattering' if you ride over (say) a railway crossing or similar which might cause misfiring.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
Allan k
On the main road

Post by Allan k »

New ignition switch, coil connecter six pin removed, and changed with new wiring all the way from points to coils.. . :up:

A piece of 3mm neopren rubber, is there between the relay and frame, to protect both. :up:
It is slightly visible on the photo

Here is a photo of the coils being rebuild.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Allan k
On the main road

Post by Allan k »

Another with new leads glued in place
pearljam724
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 75- GT 550 / 76- GT 750

Post by pearljam724 »

Is that just ordinary clear epoxy that you have used ? If so, I may try using some with the Rex Caunt coils to keep my spade terminals in place. I assume using clear epoxy wouldn't interfere with conductivity ? I may use that, if soldering them to the brass doesn't work.
Image Image
Allan DK
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 76 GT125 00 SV650 74 GT 550

Post by Allan DK »

Well i was hoping for the hard epoxy like glue but its a bit soft like rubber, but it seems to be strong enough though. Conductivity should not be an issue since the glue was put on after soldering and pressing in the plug leads.
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

Soft should be better as it will have less chance of cracking over time.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.