aftermarket gt380 ignition switch...puzzled

All to do with wiring, charging or just trying to figure out whats gone wrong.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Ramjam
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: gsx 750R, GPZ 750, GT380

aftermarket gt380 ignition switch...puzzled

Post by Ramjam »

i just purchased one and noticed - when removing the old one - a slight difference. the 'new' one (not original suzuki part which i got from wemoto) has not got the two seperate orange and red cables in addition to the block. It only has the block. Confused.

Any need for concern?

thanks in advance

MJ in Beirut
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Re: aftermarket gt380 ignition switch...puzzled

Post by Alan H »

It looks like you got a wrong switch. It's probably for the early model instead of the later model. You need the switch with the 6 wires or some circuits won't work.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
Suzsmokeyallan
Moto GP
Location: Mostly Barbados, sometimes Florida and western Canada

Post by Suzsmokeyallan »

As far the triples go, all of the 380 and 550 models wiring had that pair or red and orange wires, it was only the 750 that carried a single red and orange.
Of course that switch was used on a lot of other Suzuki models having only one red and one orange wire.
You need the six wire switch to make the bikes electrical circuits run as intended.
BTW what happened to the old switch??
Two strokes, its just that simple.

69 Suz U70
69 Suz T500
72 Suz GT750 cafe
74 Suz TS250
74 Suz GTXVR project
75 Suz RE5
75 Suz GT750
76 Suz TS400
76 Suz GT750
81 Suz GSX1100
86 Suz RG500x2
88 Hon CR500
93 Hon CBR900RR
98 Suz GSF1200x3
15 Kaw Ninja H2
Ramjam
To the on ramp

Post by Ramjam »

the old switch is really buggered. key won't stay in and it looks like it is mangled up with a screwdriver...
bloody wemoto (!!!)
Ramjam
To the on ramp

Post by Ramjam »

IS IT POssible that Wemoto know something that we don't? I looked at the pictures of ALL of their ignition switches for the gt380 and they're all the same - with ONLY the block connector.
Could it be that the two 'additional' cables were for the 'parking light' position, which, with this after-market barrell doesn't work?

In fact, i just connected it and it seems to work. Is it possible that those two 'external' cable have been bridged into the block?

thanks
MJ in Beirut
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Yes. It is quite possible, but more likely that they make one switch work in multiple applications.

What I have been able to find online seems to indicate that the early models used a 4 wire switch and later ones used 6 wires. That info was posted recently in another post with links to a German site.

I'd say that if your bike doesn't have two spare leads that need to be connected to something and that the lights work, then the 4 wire is fine. It appears that the later models split ignition and lights into two circuits. Ignition Orange in the block and headlights via the external lead.
Ramjam
To the on ramp

Post by Ramjam »

very useful info indeed. thanks for that. Yes, i just discovered that those red and orange cables are indeed for the lights.

question now is where do i find another one?

IN FACT, looking at the back of the new, aftermarket one, wouldn't it be simpler just to solder on two small cables onto the existing solder blobs - thus giving me a new, separate lead for the lights?

MJ
Last edited by Ramjam on Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

Good old ebay is always a starter. There's also parts available in Europe - Germany, Holland UK and US. Depends where you can import stuff from.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.