Neutral light and ignition barrell

All to do with wiring, charging or just trying to figure out whats gone wrong.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Ramjam
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: gsx 750R, GPZ 750, GT380

Neutral light and ignition barrell

Post by Ramjam »

Please advice me how to go about checking the obvious points to fix a neutral light just no longer working. My ignition barrel is really buggered so i cannot leave the key in it while the bike is running. As a consequence I often drain the battery when i stop, as often i can't get the bike into neutral.

And also advise me if an ignition barrel change is relatively easy, as i can't work out how to prize the old one out.

thanks in advance to Ian and the gang!

MJ (now in lebanon with the old gt380 shipped from Morocco)
Suzsmokeyallan
Moto GP
Location: Mostly Barbados, sometimes Florida and western Canada

Re: Neutral light and ignition barrell

Post by Suzsmokeyallan »

Best thing to do is to buy a good used or "pattern" ignition switch off of ebay to solve that switch problem you have. The internal switch barrels are not a part sold seperately and as you say yours is buggered the switch is already compromised.
Make sure the bulb is good in the neutral light socket and then check the contacts down by the selector drum near the engine sprocket.
If your bike is the type with only a neutral bulb and no gear indicator display simply remove the blue wire by the engine sprocket from the small black cover and touch it to the engine case with the ignition on. The neutral bulb should illuminate once the blue wire is grounded.
Two strokes, its just that simple.

69 Suz U70
69 Suz T500
72 Suz GT750 cafe
74 Suz TS250
74 Suz GTXVR project
75 Suz RE5
75 Suz GT750
76 Suz TS400
76 Suz GT750
81 Suz GSX1100
86 Suz RG500x2
88 Hon CR500
93 Hon CBR900RR
98 Suz GSF1200x3
15 Kaw Ninja H2
Ramjam
To the on ramp

Post by Ramjam »

Suzsmokeyallan wrote:Best thing to do is to buy a good used or "pattern" ignition switch off of ebay to solve that switch problem you have. The internal switch barrels are not a part sold seperately and as you say yours is buggered the switch is already compromised.
Make sure the bulb is good in the neutral light socket and then check the contacts down by the selector drum near the engine sprocket.
If your bike is the type with only a neutral bulb and no gear indicator display simply remove the blue wire by the engine sprocket from the small black cover and touch it to the engine case with the ignition on. The neutral bulb should illuminate once the blue wire is grounded.

thanks for that. I guess to check the bulb though, the entire clock assembly needs to be taken apart?

And no, in fact, mine is the type which has the gear indicator as well. it was working fine all last summer but then first of all the neutral light packed in, then after that even the gear indicator.
Ramjam
To the on ramp

Post by Ramjam »

Suzsmokeyallan wrote:Best thing to do is to buy a good used or "pattern" ignition switch off of ebay to solve that switch problem you have. The internal switch barrels are not a part sold seperately and as you say yours is buggered the switch is already compromised.
Please tell me though is replacing the ignition barrel as simple as unscrewing the outer plastic ring and pulling it out?
thanks again
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

In Lebanon eh. Interesting country sinking under the weight of other people's wars. On top of the 1/2 Million Palestinian refugees they now have 1 million Syrians and that's not helping.

If you stay in Beirut or the south it's a little quieter than say Tripoli.
Ramjam
To the on ramp

Post by Ramjam »

tz375 wrote:In Lebanon eh. Interesting country sinking under the weight of other people's wars. On top of the 1/2 Million Palestinian refugees they now have 1 million Syrians and that's not helping.

If you stay in Beirut or the south it's a little quieter than say Tripoli.
...but you entirely forgot to answer my question about the ignition barrel, you just got carried away Lebanon and the Syrian refugees. Yes, this tragic country was always the pub car park for other big players to have their weekly punch up.
But as i write this, i just heard 3 rounds being fired by someone not too far away, do i don't know how you think that Beirut is 'quite'.
Suzsmokeyallan
Moto GP
Location: Mostly Barbados, sometimes Florida and western Canada

Post by Suzsmokeyallan »

To get at the neutral bulb remove the small front under cover which will expose the bulb harness. Best to verify the bulb is good first. The neutral wire assembly is part of the system but not integrated to the digital gear display.
Somehow I suspect the gear indicator contactor down by the engine sprocket is possibly the problem since nothing is working thats related to it sending a signal to the bulb or gear display.
You need to inspect the parts for their general condition first.
Two strokes, its just that simple.

69 Suz U70
69 Suz T500
72 Suz GT750 cafe
74 Suz TS250
74 Suz GTXVR project
75 Suz RE5
75 Suz GT750
76 Suz TS400
76 Suz GT750
81 Suz GSX1100
86 Suz RG500x2
88 Hon CR500
93 Hon CBR900RR
98 Suz GSF1200x3
15 Kaw Ninja H2
Ramjam
To the on ramp

Post by Ramjam »

Suzsmokeyallan wrote:To get at the neutral bulb remove the small front under cover which will expose the bulb harness. Best to verify the bulb is good first. The neutral wire assembly is part of the system but not integrated to the digital gear display.
Somehow I suspect the gear indicator contactor down by the engine sprocket is possibly the problem since nothing is working thats related to it sending a signal to the bulb or gear display.
You need to inspect the parts for their general condition first.
please tell me exactly where is the gear indicator contact, as i looked near the front sprocket and couldn't see it. Can you be a tad more precise? Do i need to remove something to get it ?

thanks in advance

RJ
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

This shows one of the two designs. viewtopic.php?p=106829" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The switch is mounted just in front of the drive sprocket. Remove the gear shift lever and sprocket covers to get to it. If it never worked in the time you had the bike, it is possible that there's a electrical issue or it could be that the small ball and spring that sits in the end of the gear shift cam are missing.

When you remove the switch it is normal for oil to seep out , so be ready for that.
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Ramjam wrote:...... i don't know how you think that Beirut is 'quite'.
I didn't. :) I said quieter relative to Triploi. It's all relative :) :wink: We have many friends in Lebanon and visited about a year ago for Salon du Livre.
Ramjam
To the on ramp

Post by Ramjam »

tz375 wrote:
Ramjam wrote:...... i don't know how you think that Beirut is 'quite'.
I didn't. :) I said quieter relative to Triploi., It's all relative :) :wink: We have many friends in Lebanon and visited about a year ago for Salon du Livre.
next time you're here and you see a god almighty cloud of blue smoke, take a look for an angry brit on a gt380 - probably the only one in the country, as when these bikes were launched, lebanon was in the throws of a civil war.
Ramjam
To the on ramp

Post by Ramjam »

right, got the gear selector drum off from behind the sprocket as some of you advised - but noticed that it was already hanging off and not even connected. How does this explain though no power/lights at all to the control panel? Wouldn't there be at least something? even the neutral light?

thanks
MJ