Possible to improve stator or easy to replace on GT500?

All to do with wiring, charging or just trying to figure out whats gone wrong.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Nicholas
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suzuki GT500, SR500, BMW R80, BMW R100S

Possible to improve stator or easy to replace on GT500?

Post by Nicholas »

Hi, I am just about to go through the trouble of re-wiring my GT500 and found that there really isn’t that much power available, even with the night time circuit enabled.

I want to add a USB connector, newer tachometer and speedometers, an additional spot light and possibly an uprated headlight.

I’ve seen a few aftermarket upgrades…. Wondering if anyone can share their wisdom, done it before or know of an ideal kit that would slot right in..

Many thanks,
Nicholas
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Re: Possible to improve stator or easy to replace on GT500?

Post by jabcb »

Know of two routes for upgrading alternator output.

1. Upgrade to a Powerdynamo ignition system.
It includes an electronic ignition system & new alternator.
Some members have installed it on T500s with good results. Don't know if there are any installation issues on the GT500.
See this thread for more info: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4824

2. Have the existing alternator coils rewired for more output.
There are posts about this option on the forum but I didn't find them this morning.

Maybe someone else can provide more info.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
Nicholas
Around the block

Post by Nicholas »

Hi thanks for the reply, I saw that Marcel from the Netherlands had a kit… I should have looked at his website, doing most of my orders via email… I have given him small fortune. :-/
So I did think about re-wiring the existing coils, but thought that wouldn’t be a good idea as it would be putting more current through the existing CDI, rectifier and voltage regulator… or would it be OK?
I did see the power dynamo solution, looks very cool and expensive! http://www.powerdynamo.biz/eng/systems/ ... 17inst.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I’d go for Marcel’s kit, but it looks like it has two small coils…so maybe it produces the same amount of power…there isn’t any technical information about it…think it’s just a modern replacement.

I’ll dig around for examples of re-wiring and using the powerdynamo kit… Thanks again!
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Post by jabcb »

Marcel's kit doesn't upgrade the alternator.

Found the info on rewinding alternator coils.
The company is located in the US. See: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3837&start=3

Maybe one of our members knows of someone in Europe that rewinds alternator coils.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
Nicholas
Around the block

Post by Nicholas »

Hey thanks again!

So if Marcel’s kit is stock, what is the wattage/current output? The power dynamo is 180w so that’s 15 Amps, over double from the stock 7Amp system.

Does anyone know what the typical power update would be if the coils were rewired?
If rewiring only adds a couple of amperes, then perhaps power dynamo is best. I am actually using MMB tacho and speedo and they explicitly state compatibility with MMB.

Might bite the bullet and get a decent power source on the bike  I also want to install an RFID keyless ignition, so maybe this will all be able to charge a higher capacity battery.

Guess I can eBay my existing system, nothing wrong with it…just I want more power as I have turned my GT500 into a custom. Get my frame back next week! :-)

Cheers,
Nicholas
Shady
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 2, T500 1, GT500 1, TS250 1

Post by Shady »

I have a 1975 T500 M that I have installed a Powerdynamo, it is terriffic but be warned, take your time sorting out thier wiring directions.
Starts 1st-2nd kick, even idles at the lights, and has a power band that kicks butt from 4,000 to 7,000 rpm.
Nicholas
Around the block

Post by Nicholas »

Shady wrote:I have a 1975 T500 M that I have installed a Powerdynamo, it is terriffic but be warned, take your time sorting out thier wiring directions.
Starts 1st-2nd kick, even idles at the lights, and has a power band that kicks butt from 4,000 to 7,000 rpm.
Hi Shady, thanks for the reply! So you think the upgrade will also improve the overall operation of the engine?
I blindly thought a spark was a spark? :wth: I dont know about the 1975 T500, but I'm assuming a points system...perhaps you are seeing the benefits of a CDI upgrade? My GT500 already has an electronic ignition.... its just I dont think it will produce enough power to run a modern bulb, have a spotlight and cater for a GPS device.

I have spent a lot of money on my build and trying to workout if the cost for the powerdynamo will be worth the trouble....I am thinking of just putting it back together with a new loom and seeing how things go....I am almost certain it will need more power...but 400 euro is a lot of money. :-(

Did you re-wire your bike after fitting the unit? Do you have any tips or wiring diagrams? I think that if I were to upgrade the stator/alternator then it would be prudent to adopt the use of relays to isolate power from switching. Just wish someone would share their hard work, otherwise I will have to do it myself next week. :-0
rbond
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by rbond »

You would be best off with the powerdyno sytem, mainly for running all the lights. Remember , it is still a 7 amp hour battery under the seat, changing all the other lights to LED type will help slightly. You will need the higher output, and better regulation of the new unit. There is not much there to boost with re-wiring the existing coils, and the original voltage regulator barely can keep the battery charged. These bikes were designed and built to barely (cheaply) work for about three years to at least act like a reliable motorcycle. I have had my GT500 for 8 years, and with TLC, (new coils, new rectifier, a Radio Shack unit, distilled water) I still am using the same battery!!! All the early Japanese bikes were made with about the same quality, some were a little better in some regards than others, (yamaha were prone to have failed injector pumps). Every component was built to the absolute minimum quality and functionality to maximize the slim profit on sale of the bike. Parts and service are where the money is. Suzuki was a little better in the reliability department because their machines were so under stressed than the competition. Because of this design philosophy, there is very little room for boosting performance on stock components.
Nicholas
Around the block

Post by Nicholas »

rbond wrote:You would be best off with the powerdyno sytem, mainly for running all the lights.

Yes, that is exactly what I have done, it was expensive. But a really nice quality kit and installed very easily! The coil is smaller and all you need is a regulator as the rest is built into the unit.