T250R timing problems

All to do with wiring, charging or just trying to figure out whats gone wrong.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

corky
On the street

T250R timing problems

Post by corky »

I am having trouble timing my T250R. I have restored it and it ran when i pulled it apart, however the points cam was worn so have replaced it with a reproduction one. Problem is that the left hand point just about times ok at the limit of adjustment but the right hand one is way out when the timing mark is visible on the rotor. I have also replaced the points and have had the crank rebuilt. Rotor is marked T305 which i believe is correct for the T250R. I have checked that the points are correct T250 points and have tried timing it up with the old worn cam and the old points but it is still nowhere near right. I can only assume that it ran but was not timed up correctly although the pistons that came out were ok. I cannot understand why it wont time up on the marks on the rotor. Assuming the points are correct and the cam is correct the only possible thing that could be wrong is the back plate, but looking at listings on ebay the back plates look the same as mine. I cant see the crank being rebuilt would have any effect as you are trying to time off the rotor not the crank. Anyone any ideas?
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Re: T250R timing problems

Post by jabcb »

Take a look at the parts diagram:
http://www.powersportspro.com/pages/Oem ... 0912900A05

Rotor stamped with T305 indicates you have the "early" parts.
Early parts are for frame # up to 59328. Early parts include stator, rotor & contact breaker cam.

There may actually be a difference between early & later contact breaker cams.
Maybe you switched to the later cam.

Other members might know more about this.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE