Adding a new Taillight; 3 to 2 wire

All to do with wiring, charging or just trying to figure out whats gone wrong.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

mario03srt
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500

Adding a new Taillight; 3 to 2 wire

Post by mario03srt »

All,

I have in a new tailight for my 69 T500. It has a 2 wire setup, and the harness to my taillight is 3. A B/W, a Brn, and a White. White is the Brake, Brn from ignition switch so it must be the tail ight itself. The new Lucas Rear Light Assy a red and black. I did not see any gnds info on the factory schemetic.

Any suggstions on Assy. I added a ground wire from the Tail Light housing in case I needed it to add to the chasis etc or perhaps the blk/white lead from the harness?

Thanks,

Marion
ConnerVT
Novice racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R (now), T500M (40 yrs ago)

Re: Adding a new Taillight; 3 to 2 wire

Post by ConnerVT »

This one? --> http://4into1.com/lucas-style-tail-light-assembly/

First question is, it is a single or duel filament bulb in it? I would guess it has 2 filaments -- One for tail light, one for brake light.

if there are 2 filaments, my guess is one wire is for the brake light, the second wire is for the tail light, and the case acts as ground.

The T500 tail light has three wires (B/W is ground), as the tail light assy was mounted with rubber grommets, making for a poor ground connection. Depending on how you mount your light, you may wish to extend that B/W ground wire somewhere attached to the new tail light assy.
mario03srt
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500

Re: Adding a new Taillight; 3 to 2 wire

Post by mario03srt »

I think I got it. :mrgreen:

I ran a ground from the light alum housing to the B/W wire, Red light wire to Brown (Main) and Black light to White (Brake).

Voila,

Marion