new project no keys!

All to do with wiring, charging or just trying to figure out whats gone wrong.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

DDudley
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 71 T350, 87 samurai. multipal other bikes

new project no keys!

Post by DDudley »

hello im new to the forum worls but a friend pointed me to this one, recently ive scored a barn find 71 t350 the bike is in relitivly good shap considering the area it wich its sat for the past 20 som od years...... Its mostly conplete execpt for a couple cosmetic parts on mirror a flasher left side cover and a shiftr lever. Got the bike for free so im not complining!:mrgreen: the shitter thing is that theres no keys and whom ever rode it last has put in a toggle switch in thoug no wres are cut so im lucky there id like to fully restore this bike so my question to ou all does anyone have a sorce for these old keys? Any help is much apreciated also im aware that these old bike are notorious for a dime light head light anythoughts on a conversion?
Thanks in advance for any help and advice im way to exieted for this next build ive only dont a couple thus far but i feel it may become an adiction. Worse than my chainsaw habbit
Thanks again
dan
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Re: new project no keys!

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

If you can read the key code stamped on the face of the lock, then I've had very good luck ordering from this fellow. 8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
DDudley
On the street

Post by DDudley »

hey thanks for the response. ill be sure to find out what im dealin with when i clean that thing up. If it turn out i cant read the numbers wat would you sugest? Also have you had any ideas of running a smaller battery with these kina bikes? im wantin to fab up an oil tank battery holder deal that looks like a cylender. And a smaller batterie would be preferd
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Post by jabcb »

If you switch to a modern sealed battery then you also should add a modern rectifier/regulator.

Stock, your bike has a rectifier but no voltage regulator. It uses the battery as a voltage regulator.
As a result voltage will exceed allowable for modern batteries.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
DDudley
On the street

Post by DDudley »

i see so one should retro fit a regutatoe then? Sorry if i sound dumb im new to the bike world and wiring isnt my strong point. I hada build a wiring harnes for the first bile i did and it was a six volt system and that battery was tiny! It took forever to hunt down all the six volt bulbs and stuff pretty happy that bikes gone it was a good learning experient though.
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

DDudley wrote:hey thanks for the response. ill be sure to find out what im dealin with when i clean that thing up. If it turn out i cant read the numbers wat would you sugest?
The key code is also stamped on the steering lock, so that is a second place to check.
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
DDudley
On the street

Post by DDudley »

:mrgreen:wooohooo plain as day. Ill see wat that guy has. My asumtion is that the last rider lost the keys and was forced to wire in a togle switch its interestin how it was done. Nothin was choped thankfully thpugh there is twowires that come up through the headlight and up through ware the cablles and cotrol wire are and go to nothin thev been cut the colors are arange and white any thoughts? Theres nothing indicating that they went to either gauge or the controls. A musterious kill switch? Thank for yer help i cant wait for this bike to have life again my pops always hada suzuki and im thankfull that this on landed in my lap kinda doin it up to rember him by :up:
pearljam724
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 75- GT 550 / 76- GT 750

Post by pearljam724 »

Until, you get a key. It's easy to start any bike by jumping the +/- terminals on the selinoid. Just make sure the bike is in neutral first.
Image Image
DDudley
On the street

Post by DDudley »

yeah that makes alot of sense it seems like this dirty ole toggle switch does just that. Hopefully i can get some pictures up before to long.
Thanks again,
dan
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Post by jabcb »

To install a rectifier/regulator on a T250/T350 & early GT250, you just replace the stock rectifier with a rectifier/regulator.

You have a choice between three different wiring diagrams as shown here: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=6786&p=121472&hili ... or#p121472
First diagram is stock. Second provides more output when the lights are off. Third provides max output all the time.

I prefer the tympanum rectifier/regulator on the T250/T350/T500/GT250.
It costs about $50 on eBay: http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw ... +regulator

I have the tympanum on my GT250 & its wired up per the third wiring diagram.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
DDudley
On the street

Post by DDudley »

hey thanks!!!!! Ill get right one this asoon as i can. sounds like a straight forward swap. I belive my state want lights on all the time but has a cut off for older stuff. Like being seatbelt exempt...... Any who with a higher output as well one very well modify to a brighter mor common headligh bulb?
Thank for your quik response ive learned a great deal in just these few messages.
I thank you for the help aswell hopwfully someday i can return the favor.