75 GT550 | Starter turning over, not firing-up, flooded bowl

All to do with wiring, charging or just trying to figure out whats gone wrong.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

GT550_First-Timer
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1975 GT550

75 GT550 | Starter turning over, not firing-up, flooded bowl

Post by GT550_First-Timer »

This is a continuation of my previous electrical issue with getting power past the key.
Thread: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7825

I resolved that issue with help from MotoGP. Now I am attempting to get the bike to fire-up!

FIRST, My starter is turning, I have lightly sanded the points with 400 grit paper, sprayed them with contact cleaner, and set them for 0.015". Which I understand is 0.001" too wide but understand it to be within tolerance. (my feeler gauges don't have 0.014")

How do I check for spark at the plugs with limited tools?

SECOND, I tried to fire the bike up via starter button a few times. Got off the bike to think and realized the gas was pouring out a nipple on the bottom of my leftmost carb bowl. The other two carbs were not spewing gas. Is anyone familiar with this and have an understanding of what needs repair?

Picture of gas escaping carb:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =1&theater
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Re: 75 GT550 | Starter turning over, not firing-up, flooded

Post by jabcb »

For spark:
There should be a grounding strap that grounds the ram air shroud to the the frame. Its part # 27 shown here:
http://www.powersportspro.com/pages/Oem ... 6021160003

If the shroud is grounded, then just lay the spark plug on the shroud so that the threaded portion is touching the shroud & you can see the plug gap.
Use the kickstart or rear tire to move the crank a bit so the points are closed & then test for spark by opening the points using a screwdriver.

For carbs:
Carb flooding could be due to dirt in the needle valve/seat assembly or a sunken float. Check the float to see if it contains any gas.
Floats & needle valve/seat assemblies are still available from Suzuki.
The needle valve/seat assembly is a standard Mikuni part -- its a lot cheaper to get the standard part.

Don't think you mentioned the bike's history. Might need to do a thurough cleaning of the carbs to get the bike running.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
GT550_First-Timer
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1975 GT550

Post by GT550_First-Timer »

jabcb wrote:For spark:
There should be a grounding strap that grounds the ram air shroud to the the frame. Its part # 27 shown here:
http://www.powersportspro.com/pages/Oem ... 6021160003

Don't think you mentioned the bike's history. Might need to do a thurough cleaning of the carbs to get the bike running.
I found that the ground on the air shroud was non-existent. Made a ground wire with some 20Ga. wire I had laying around. I ran it back to an existing ground near the battery.

Do you think this gauge is okay?

Once grounded, I set the plugs with a feeler gauge for 0.028". I followed your directions and found what I thought to be a healthy amount of fire from each plug.

Seemed to arc a violet color as apposed to a brighter blue that I am used to with a car. Is this natural or a concern?

I am in the garage currently. Plan to put the tank back in place and put some fuel through it. Thought I would spray a little contact cleaner at the exposed intake ports and see if that fired it up. That was a trick an old friend taught me to use on my '49 chevy's carb.

Any one have any objections to spraying contact cleaner in the carb while running the starter?

I bought a tub with dipping basket of carb cleaner. After one more test firing it up I intend to tear down the carbs and give them a thorough cleaning.

Bike History:
I really don't know much about it. The previous owner was unclear how long he had it. Seemed like a number of years... 5? The bike was dirty and has some known clutch issues but a brand new clutch came with the bike, among a heap of other parts. (almost a second engine). Previous owner got the bike from a friend who had passed. The previous owner never seemed to have ridden it extensively but was a certified welder and did some custom work to the frame. The fork is chopped and leaned back a bit. Rear was also bobbed for a solo rider. I love the custom work and will have no trouble doing the cosmetic work. (The part I'm possibly most excited about.) The mechanical stuff is fun for me but I mostly looking forward to getting through it and on to maintenance.

Anyhow, this forum has already been a huge help.
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Post by jabcb »

The wire gauge you used is fine. Suzuki used a fairly short wire to ground the shroud but I'm not sure where they attached it. What you did was fine.

Cars have much higher output coils. Car coils were also much better back in the 70s.

Can't help you on the using contact cleaner as starter fluid. Don't think I've heard of this before.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE