Regarding checking points resistance

All to do with wiring, charging or just trying to figure out whats gone wrong.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

vdavidoff
Around the block

Regarding checking points resistance

Post by vdavidoff »

First, thanks in advance to everyone again for continually providing me with great information.

There's something I don't understand about checking points resistance, and I'd really like to understand it. I'll get right to it:

I am under the impression that there's a way to hook an ohmmeter to my bike ('74 GT550) to test the points individually, so that when the point I'm testing is closed I get 0 ohms, and when the point I'm testing is open I get infinite ohms.

To the best of my understanding (which obviously isn't correct, is incomplete, or both) what I described above should be the case if I connect my negative lead to ground and my positive lead to the "inner" point (the one with the lead going to it).

When I do that, using the big ground strap for my negative lead, I do get 0 ohms when the point is closed, but when the point is open I get approximately 4.5-5ohms. I am forgetting the exact reading at the moment, but I think it's actually approximately the same reading I got when checking the primary coils, which seems like it's a clue, but maybe not. The battery is disconnected, ignition off, and run switch off when I'm doing this.

I guess what I don't understand is, with the points open, battery disconnected, and all ignition related switches "off", what is left to complete a circuit once the point opens. Right?

When I get the ohm reading above 0, this does align with the points opening visually and the timing marks, so it does seem that I'm getting the reading at the appropriate time.

So my question is, why I am not getting a reading of infinite ohms when the points I'm monitoring are open?

Thanks.
Andy
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Re: Regarding checking points resistance

Post by jabcb »

The dwell angle for the GTs is something like 180°, so at least one set of points is always closed.

When the points you are checking are open, the circuit you are measuring is:
1) wire from points to coil
2) coil
3) wire from coil to other coil
4) other coil
5) wire from other coil to other points
6) other points to ground

The coil resistance is about 4 ohms.
With only one other point closed, you'll measure about: 4 + 4 = 8 ohms
With both other points closed, you'll measure about: 4 + 4/2 = 6 ohms
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

If you want to check the points on their own, they have to be disconnected. As JABCB mentioned, the points are connected to the coils, so you are actually measuring more than just one set of points on their own.
vdavidoff
Around the block

Post by vdavidoff »

Thank you. That totally explains it. I was missing the part where the coils are connected together.

Thanks!!!
Andy
H2RICK
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550A, GSF1200SK6 currently

Post by H2RICK »

Easy solution: Put a piece of some insulating material between the contacts of the point sets you're NOT checking.
GT550A Mint & Original
H2A Semi-Hot Rod Built From A Basket Case
KZ650C2 Mint & Original...mostly
GSF1200SK6 Bandit...My LD Ride
Additional H2 projects In Boxes.....
MBD Sufferer