GT750 rear harness updates I did.

All to do with wiring, charging or just trying to figure out whats gone wrong.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Suzsmokeyallan
Moto GP
Location: Mostly Barbados, sometimes Florida and western Canada

GT750 rear harness updates I did.

Post by Suzsmokeyallan »

I wanted this upgrade to be done without looking too physically modified so simplicity was kept in mind.
Looking at the main rear portion of the harness of the GT750 I wanted to fix some issues with its design so here's how I tackled the update to this part.
First I stripped all the old insulation tape off and separated the wires down to their respective coloured circuits. Then I set about cleaning all the wires, terminals, silicone boots and checked and re-wrapped the taped splices.
Looking at this, its easy to see why theres some voltage drop in the charging circuit and coil circuit, so heres what I did.
First the red wire, it goes from the mid connector between the two harnesses to about midway back and is then spliced at the turn of wire there to the fuse then continues to the rectifier socket.
I took this wire out and upsized it to 12 gauge wire following the wiring pattern off the old one, but I used a crimp at the splice and then soldered it covered by heat shrink tubing.
For this sort of splice you don't have to cut both wires, just bare a section about 1/2 inch long and lay the second splice into the area between the sheathing, crimp and solder it, then insulate the joint.
More power in from the battery with less resistance equals one problem solved, now we can use a 25 or 30 amp main fuse.

From the harness mid joint the red 12 gauge wire will continue up to the ignition switch where at its connection it will get a large four pin style socket to reduce any resistance issues.
Next was the orange wires, here I did some modifications to how it was from stock.
Removing the original one from the mid harness joint, I used a piece of orange 12 gauge wire and ran it from the mid harness socket location right to the regulator connector. Then I removed the original short run splice of the three orange coil wires from the old orange harness wires and spliced them into this 12 gauge orange wire.
I reused the original three small wires, but their run is now very short from the 12 gauge feed wire splice so thats ok.
This means power from the ignition switch going to the regulator and ignition coils will be on a large 12gauge main wire only.
I also removed the other medium sized orange wire from the nine cavity socket and made it a separate circuit running the flasher and rear brake lamp circuit and fan relay (if fitted).
This second orange wire is now fitted into the mid harness connector so it can use a larger pin terminal. It will run up to the front of the headlamp harness on a 12 gauge wire which will splice into the other orange wires there now.
The end result will be a branch of two 12 gauge orange wires from the new ignition switch connector. One will run into the front harness then into the rear harness and one directly into the rear harness for the coils and regulator.
Suzuki placed too much emphasis on the orange wire as a common12 volt feed tap and sadly the ignition switch does not have a dual terminal in it to use a parallel output for two separate orange wire feeds.
The original black and white wires from the mid socket are ok in gauge size so they were left as is, but their connector end by the mid socket was changed to the large pin so it can also work in the update.
All the other wires in the nine cavity socket were removed and cleaned up and put back as they were, but since it was not a latch socket, it was upgraded to one.
The yellow short run of three wires from the rectifier socket to the alternator socket will be upsized, as will the green short run from that socket to the regulator.
This covers the basic rear harness updates and here are some photos, its been laid out and sectionally taped for now, the rear portion by the short wiring for the regulator and rectifier is not completed yet in this photo.

The updated rear harness laid out and sectionally taped.
The original wires were cleaned up for the electrical panel area, the new 12 gauge red one for the fuse looks massive in comparison.

The black nine cavity latched connector replaces the old stock one.
The coil wires also got a new six cavity latched one (partially hidden)
The large four pin connector is the new mid harness socket, one red, one black/white and two orange wires now fill its cavities.

Now to finish this part up and see about working on the front harness.
Two strokes, its just that simple.

69 Suz U70
69 Suz T500
72 Suz GT750 cafe
74 Suz TS250
74 Suz GTXVR project
75 Suz RE5
75 Suz GT750
76 Suz TS400
76 Suz GT750
81 Suz GSX1100
86 Suz RG500x2
88 Hon CR500
93 Hon CBR900RR
98 Suz GSF1200x3
15 Kaw Ninja H2
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Re: GT750 rear harness updates I did.

Post by jabcb »

Nice upgrade.

If you have a good source for the various wire colors, then it would be useful to ad the link to the sticky topic for electrical part sources.

Haven't noticed much discussion about sockets on this forum. The latching sockets are a good upgrade too. Non-latching sockets require careful adjustment if you ever want to disconnect them. Didn't know that & learned it the hard way.

Looks like johnakay has got himself a good hobby business going with his racks.
Might a hobby business for wiring harnesses be in your future? (hint, hint, ...)
As a reference point, new wiring harnesses are available for some other brands. Two I know of are:
HVCcycle for Yamaha RDs: http://www.hvccycle.com/wire-harness.html
Z1 Enterprises for Kawasaki: http://www.z1enterprises.com/SearchResu ... rds=wiring
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
Suzsmokeyallan
Moto GP
Location: Mostly Barbados, sometimes Florida and western Canada

Post by Suzsmokeyallan »

I know theres a lot of better connectors out there but honestly once you keep these things clean they seem to last well enough. Dielectric or waterproof grease can be used to keep corrosion at bay if you need it.
As you noted on the unlatched ones which can also happen on the latched ones, you need to pull and push them squarely, (which you should be doing anyways) if not you can tilt the connector on an angle and in doing so loosen the tension crimp on the female terminals and cause a poor connection.
This is something you cannot feel since there are too many other ones in the connector to fool you into thinking all the connections are tight.

I'd like to see how this harness upgrade fit plays out for voltage drop along its length now, the coils and regulator should get a near perfect battery voltage reading, a problem the bikes have had due to the previous design.
As with any upgrade I also suggest the ignition switch be disassembled and cleaned in the contactor plate and the red and orange short wires from the switch to the socket also upgraded to a larger size.

I buy all of my connectors and other electrical accessories from Anthony at Oregon motorcycle, hes got the correct style of connectors and will sell you one side if you need it. I say this after I bought some from VC again recently and they delivered a competitors style of connector thats similar but not like the original ones.
You can also buy new harnesses for the GT750 as well, and they do show up on ebay often, but the design problems are still there built in to the new ones.
Two strokes, its just that simple.

69 Suz U70
69 Suz T500
72 Suz GT750 cafe
74 Suz TS250
74 Suz GTXVR project
75 Suz RE5
75 Suz GT750
76 Suz TS400
76 Suz GT750
81 Suz GSX1100
86 Suz RG500x2
88 Hon CR500
93 Hon CBR900RR
98 Suz GSF1200x3
15 Kaw Ninja H2
two-stroke-brit
Novice racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: gt750

Post by two-stroke-brit »

that should improve this old design no end.
:up:
She will never be pretty but hoping she will be a fun ride.

1973 SUZUKI GT750K.=SOLD
yamaha speedtwinn 100 barn find =SOLD
1x 1973 kawasaki H1 (restored)
1x 1973 kawasaki H1 (basket case) =SOLD
1982 HONDA CB900F =SOLD
1982 YAMAHA RD350LC.
1985 RZ350N