T500 Dwell Value?

All to do with wiring, charging or just trying to figure out whats gone wrong.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

5twins
On the street

T500 Dwell Value?

Post by 5twins »

I like to set points using a dwell meter. Does any one know the dwell value for a '73 t500? I couldn't find it in any of the manuals I've looked at.
Coyote
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550x2, GT750, GS1000

Re: T500 Dwell Value?

Post by Coyote »

This link may help: http://www.ozebook.com/compendium/t500_ ... pspecs.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Also this one. The very first answer would be mine. Ditch the dwell meter. They are for four strokes.
http://www.kawasakitriplesworldwide.com ... 19&t=55948" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left.

1978 GS1000C
1976 GT550 ongoing money pit.
5twins
On the street

Post by 5twins »

No mention of dwell in those ozebook specs, I had checked them already. Explain why dwell meters are for 4 strokes only? That makes no sense to me. A dwell meter is the most accurate way to set points gaps, the only way to accurately set used points gaps, and the easiest way to exactly match the gaps between 2 sets.
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Coyote is correct that dwell meters are rarely used on two strokes. Why? probably because coil saturation is not much effected by minor changes in dwell and that's because dwell time is so long anyway. It's not really much of an issue. An 8 cylinder car with one coil and distributor is a different issue altogether.

Let's say a V8 at 6,000 needs to generate 6,000/2*8 sparks per minute (24,000) a 2 stroke at say 8,000 with a twin coil sparking every revolution is 16,000 sparks per minute if it has a 180 degree crank and wasted spark or 8,000 sparks/min with most single spark systems. That's a whole lot more time to saturate a coil.

Points gaps are allowed to be in the +/-.002 range which is fairly wide tolerance, and the important thing is timing - when the spark occurs is way more important than dwell.
Cliff
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Original owner GT550L

Post by Cliff »

WOW, dwell angle!!! That brings back memories!! That's old school for sure! Just try to find a kid now in the local garage now the knows what dwell is!! For that matter, find one that knows what points are!!!
Don't worry about dwell on your bike. Just make sure that the points open at the proper time BTDC! The rest will look after itself. Use a dial indicator and a test light or analog voltmeter to set the timing. We're working old school here! Don't use a digital voltmeter, they're too slow to react. As soon as the points open, the circuit is broken and the test light will light up or the needle will move on the voltmeter and that's when the plug will fire. That's all you have to check and adjust!
5twins
On the street

Post by 5twins »

I just don't like using a feeler gauge on points, I consider that "old school". The slightest amount of oil on the blade, even from your fingers, can contaminate the points faces and cause misfires. I don't get a feeler gauge anywhere near the points on my other old bikes. I install them, gap them by eye, then fire the bike up and use the dwell meter to precisely set the points gap. I static time with a small 12v bulb then use a timing light to get timing exact.

I guess I'll follow the routine outlined by H2Rtuner in that Kawasaki board link. I'll find my own dwell range by setting the points at 12 and 16 and taking dwell readings at both those extremes.
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

I recall playing with a dwell meter way back when - but as others have mentioned found it didn't make any difference at all on these bikes. They are very forgiving on their set up. Haven't even thought about it since the '80's, but what ever floats your boat ! 8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
Cliff
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Original owner GT550L

Post by Cliff »

You don't need to use a feeler gauge to set the gap. Use the cardboard from match book cover or a cigarette pack!!
How's that for "old school"??