Its nearly on fire

All to do with wiring, charging or just trying to figure out whats gone wrong.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Suzsmokeyallan
Moto GP
Location: Mostly Barbados, sometimes Florida and western Canada

Its nearly on fire

Post by Suzsmokeyallan »

Ok this is an interesting situation I want to relate to owners of motorcycles, especially old ones you buy second hand.
Look at the photo, it shows a yellow wire with the sheathing rubbed away until the wires are exposed, the other ones with the black areas are where its rubbing away the insulation soon to follow suit and expose the wires.
These came off of my Calgary based 76 Buffalo, its the short wires that run from the alternator socket into the rectifier socket on the electrical board.
This area was something I was meaning to get around to in my rolling restoration for this bike, but it got put off last year. Suspicions were on the cards since then as I'd had a few blips on the screen during last summers ride, a left cylinder dropping out with backfires and other little things hinting something was up electrically.
So what was happening behind there hidden out of view? the wires behind the panel had become fixed onto the rear inner fender from previous owners 'adjusting' them and were quietly rubbing away on the metal.
The points wire for the left cylinder was also in the same mess and from what I could see these wires had been so for a very long time.
The fender was actually etched deeply where the wires were constantly arcing into the metal and I'm surprised the whole thing didn't go up in a fireball given how much old oil was behind there on them.
The LH points would short to ground and drop the cylinder, then it would temporarily fix itself, backfire then come to life again as it did a few times on last years trip, but the alternator was surely going to burn up eventually, being repeatedly shorted directly to ground on this phase was not a healthy situation..
I replaced the wires, tidied it all up and such like for now, but I plan to do some harness update work in that area when I go back to swap out the metal inner fender for a restored one.
I only have to wait till next summer to do it so I have some time to get all the required items ready.
The bottom line here is never take anything for granted, always visually check things over for your own safety and peace of mind.

Two strokes, its just that simple.

69 Suz U70
69 Suz T500
72 Suz GT750 cafe
74 Suz TS250
74 Suz GTXVR project
75 Suz RE5
75 Suz GT750
76 Suz TS400
76 Suz GT750
81 Suz GSX1100
86 Suz RG500x2
88 Hon CR500
93 Hon CBR900RR
98 Suz GSF1200x3
15 Kaw Ninja H2
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Re: Its nearly on fire

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

Good catch, and also good tip Allan. :up: :up:
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
Suzsmokeyallan
Moto GP
Location: Mostly Barbados, sometimes Florida and western Canada

Re: Its nearly on fire

Post by Suzsmokeyallan »

Ian it was a good catch and another lesson learned, and from this comes the need to have a refurbished/updated harness ready to go into the recently acquired 75 model as one of the first things that gets done.
As you might remember, before the BC trip of 2010 I had done some restoration work that included removing the front harness and the gear indicator harness and fitted new sheathing while making some connector repairs on the same 76 bike. Who would have thought that impending electrical disaster was lurking behind the panel hidden out of sight in the rear harness.
Two strokes, its just that simple.

69 Suz U70
69 Suz T500
72 Suz GT750 cafe
74 Suz TS250
74 Suz GTXVR project
75 Suz RE5
75 Suz GT750
76 Suz TS400
76 Suz GT750
81 Suz GSX1100
86 Suz RG500x2