Digital Gear Indicator Replacement Very Inexpensive

All to do with wiring, charging or just trying to figure out whats gone wrong.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Ebayru
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 74 GT550, 90 RZ350 (Canadian), 78 DT250

Digital Gear Indicator Replacement Very Inexpensive

Post by Ebayru »

On a lark, I decided to see if I could find a replacement for the gear indicator light on my 1974 GT550

On Ebay I found a number of selections for about $6.00 delivered from China. They have gears 1 thru 5 and a neutral indicator. The one I chose used "0" for neutral and another used "N". I chose the one that used the "0" because I thought the form factor would be easier to work with and it had the connector which turned out was a match for the one on my GT550.

I made a bracket for it out of sheet metal. I had to switch the contacts in the connector to correspond to the pin outs on the GT. The picture on Ebay shows the wires with pins without the connector, but mine came with it. It is very easy to reuse the connector from the bad gear indicator if it comes without it.

That's all there was to it . The numbers are much larger and brighter than the original. I'm very pleased to have a working gear indicator light for an investment of about $8 and some of my time. Hey, I'm retired so what's time.
DigGearIndicatorEbay.JPG
1st.JPG
2nd.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ebayru on Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Re: Digital Gear Indicator Replacement Very Inexpensive

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

Nice one ! :up: :up:
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
Ebayru
Around the block

Post by Ebayru »

Some more pictures....
3rd.JPG
4th.JPG
5th.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ebayru
Around the block

Post by Ebayru »

I hope this helps someone who would like to have a working gear indicator light and doesn't want to spend a lot. I actually like it better than the original.
Last edited by Ebayru on Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ebayru
Around the block

Post by Ebayru »

oldjapanesebikes,

Thanks!
H2RICK
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550A, GSF1200SK6 currently

Post by H2RICK »

VERY slick indeed, Ebayru !!!
This is one thing that has been kind of in the back of my mind for many moons. My indicator works fine....but I know that one of these days one of the segments will die from old age. Now I have a solution thanks to you. :up: :clap:
Maybe this should be made into a sticky ??
GT550A Mint & Original
H2A Semi-Hot Rod Built From A Basket Case
KZ650C2 Mint & Original...mostly
GSF1200SK6 Bandit...My LD Ride
Additional H2 projects In Boxes.....
MBD Sufferer
TLRam1
Road race school

Post by TLRam1 »

Nice fix!
Terry

Maybe poker's not your game, Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest~

74 Suzuki GT750 / 74 Suzuki T500 / 75 Suzuki GT380 / 97 & 01 Honda Magna / 03 Kawasaki KX250 / 01 Yamaha WR250F / 03 Yamaha TTR 125L
Cliff
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Original owner GT550L

Post by Cliff »

5864.1 MILES!!!!! On a GT550L!! Please don't tell me that's all that's on her!! Let's have some more pics of the bike!
Nice fix on the indicator! Mine only buggers up when I've been riding in the rain! I've been in 6th gear and sometimes even 8th. on wet days!!
Cliff!
Ebayru
Around the block

Post by Ebayru »

What's a "Sticky"? Sorry for being too lazy to search it out, but I'm buried here with "must do's"

As far as I know, the mileage is accurate, but I don't know much at all about the history of the bike. It was found in a scrap yard by a friend who knew the owner of the yard and I got it for free. By some lucky circumstances, I was able to find the title holder and he gave me the title for $50. The bike would turn over but then at a certain point lock up. It was a disintegrated starter gear that would lock up the other gears. I rebuilt the clutch, starter clutch, replaced the starter motor and did a bunch of electrical stuff. If you find my post on "GT550 charges when cold but stops charging when hot", you'll see what most of the electrical was about. I added a voltmeter from Harbor Freight without getting too fancy when I was diagnosing the charging problem and I decided to leave it. I had to replace the fuse section as that was all messed up by the previous owner.

Cosmetically, I replaced the side covers. and essentially just cleaned it up. Most of the rusty chrome cleaned up surprisingly well except for the chain guard that I painted black. I painted the side covers black rather than try to match the red. The tank paint was in surprisingly good shape except for some small chips which I touched up with some Toyota Super Red which is not an exact match, but works OK for small chips. Some guy on Ebay sells seat covers for less than $30 and it is very well made. The carb bellows were shot, but I found a really raunchy carb set on Ebay for $15 that had the bellows intact so I bought it for the bellows and any other spare parts for potential use in the future.

Of course the speedo and tach lenses were extremely clouded so I made some from some dental acrylic and a vacuum former. It was a little work cutting out the old lenses but I was able to get them out in good enough shape to make a mold for them to form the new lenses. They are not perfect but are acceptable.

It needed tires because the ones on them had dry rot and found it was cheaper to buy wheels with good tires from Ebay than tires alone. So now I have extra wheels and parts from them. The brake fluid was like molasses but I was able to flush the system with fresh fluid and the brakes came back. I also needed a new reservoir bellows.

My original idea of getting the bike was just to see if I could get it running. I hadn't had a bike in over 30 years and had only had 2 strokes. But sure enough, I got the bug again and also wound up getting an '90 Yamaha RZ350 from Canada. I got the GT in the summer of 2008, had repaired the clutch and starter gear and then got distracted for almost 2 years. I finished it last fall. It was more fun to drive than I expected. The RZ and GT are two totally different animals.

I intentionally did not want to do a spot on restoration of the GT550. I have learned that when I do something too well, I worry about it more than enjoy it. So, I wanted to make it look good but took no effort to make it "perfect". Knowing that, I've been surprised by the reactions I've had from people when the see it. I guess it looks better to them than it does to me.

Shel
H2RICK
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550A, GSF1200SK6 currently

Post by H2RICK »

Shel, she looks pretty good to me, too. :clap:
To my mind, the 74 and 76 red 550's are the sharpest lookers of all the 550's.
You've done a heckuva job rescuing her from the scrap heap and making a very nice daily rider out of her. :up:

BTW, a "sticky" is a thread that contains some crucial info. The particular thread gets modified so that it stays at the top of a particular section, no matter how many threads are in that section.
This is a great help in that no one has to troll through the whole section trying to find your thread about replacing the indicator. It saves a LOT of time for all concerned.
Stickys have to be created, IIRC, by the Board Admin folks.
GT550A Mint & Original
H2A Semi-Hot Rod Built From A Basket Case
KZ650C2 Mint & Original...mostly
GSF1200SK6 Bandit...My LD Ride
Additional H2 projects In Boxes.....
MBD Sufferer
two-stroke-brit
Novice racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: gt750

Post by two-stroke-brit »

looks like a nice bike to run around on ,
trailor queens are more to worry about than fun to ride.
cheers mark
She will never be pretty but hoping she will be a fun ride.

1973 SUZUKI GT750K.=SOLD
yamaha speedtwinn 100 barn find =SOLD
1x 1973 kawasaki H1 (restored)
1x 1973 kawasaki H1 (basket case) =SOLD
1982 HONDA CB900F =SOLD
1982 YAMAHA RD350LC.
1985 RZ350N
Craig380
Expert racer

Post by Craig380 »

@Shel -- excellent work with the gear indicator. That is also a SWEET 550 by any standards, let alone a $50 yard find.

I wish I had your luck (and electrical skills) :up: :)
1976 GT380 - wounded by me, and sold on
2006 SV650S - killed by a patch of diesel and a kerb in Feb 2019
2017 SV650 AL7 - naked and unashamed
Ebayru
Around the block

Re: Digital Gear Indicator Replacement Very Inexpensive : Up

Post by Ebayru »

I thought I'd follow up with an update on the gear indicator. When I first did the installation I added a voltage regulator to the circuit because I worried that the voltage fluctuation allowed by the GT550's regulator would blow out the LED display. However, the regulator I added failed after a few hours of running and I decided to eliminate it and see if the voltage variation would cook the LED display. It is just fine. The fact that the display maintains constant brightness as the voltage regulator cycles between it's high and low range makes me think the Chinese gear indicator has some internal voltage regulation.

So, if you decide to do it, keep it simple. Just wire it up.

Shel
Last edited by Ebayru on Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP

Scorch (or one of the admins) - could we sticky this thread please ? :up:
Ian

oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP

oldjapanesebikes wrote:Scorch (or one of the admins) - could we sticky this thread please ? :up:
OK - let's try this again :D :D Now that the 'electrical' topic thread has been created, how be this be moved to there ? Doesn't need to be a 'sticky' I suppose, but moving it would make it easier to find in future. 8)
Ian