GT500 CDI

All to do with wiring, charging or just trying to figure out whats gone wrong.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

rbond
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Re: GT500 CDI

Post by rbond »

Very true Allan. I like to tinker some, so when I finally get the chance I will see how well the V/R I made does. Believe it or not I still have the battery that came with the bike when I bought it! (At least 4 years old)
Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Post by Suzukidave »

http://www.sportdevices.com/ignition/ignition.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the older i get the faster i was
titan performance
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: TS100, T200, GT250, T500, GT500, GT550, GT750, GS750

Post by titan performance »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/suzuki_gt5 ... 845440145/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As a previous contributor has stated, sometimes a lack of spark is caused by failure of the "exciter" coil on the generator....in our experience that's more often than not, the cause. We are developing a replacement for these, which will be available shortly.
A customer of ours recently purchased a CDI unit direct from Japan, and paid £270 for it....ouch ! I believe the X7 unit is the same part number if my memory serves me right...probably wont be any cheaper...

If anyone gets stuck trying to make up their own unit, or cant find a second hand one...drop us a line on titan.performance@yahoo.com . We can help.

Click on the link above.

Paul.
Keeping old 2 strokes alive !
wvc
To the on ramp

Post by wvc »

Suzuki still sells the "exciter" coils. There are 2 of them, the hi-speed and the low-speed coil. (Suzuki calls them the Primary and Secondary coils). They are priced about $60 each from Suzuki. ( I just bought one of each a couple months ago). I'm sure if you could figure out who actually manufactures the coils, or the mfr. p/n, they could probably be had for pennies from an electronics warehouse.
76 GT500 - restoration project in work
4 other 76 GT500's
1.5 GT550's
4 GT380's
5 T500's (72-75 models)
4 GT750's

Suzuki GT hoarder...and a bad case of OBD.....(old bike disease)
rbond
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by rbond »

I do not really know anything about the Titan Performance CDI, but, it seems very coincidental that their CDI is physically the same size as the one I posted here. It retails for $160.00 USD, mine is still under $25.00 USD. I would hazard to guess that the circuit they are using is Phil C's and mine. Basically I think they got the circuit, etc. from this board and commercialized it!!! Maybe I am wrong, just seems their product should have been on the market years ago, rather than after mine appears here, I guess they are 'banking' on the majority of GT500 owners will never find this board and see the GT500 CDI stickey post. I could be completely wrong here, but there is no way to prove one way or the other. But $25.. versus $160.00? I think I would pull out the soldering iron first before buying their stuff. My .02 worth.
titan performance
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: TS100, T200, GT250, T500, GT500, GT550, GT750, GS750

Post by titan performance »

Hi rbond....yes, with respect, you are wrong, we have not copied your design at all. To be honest, I have not even copy and pasted your link to see what your unit looks like....but I will now. This unit was developed by an electrician just 2 miles from our workshop, who builds all manner of mini bikes from scratch, and who suggested he could create a unit if we provided an original he could take apart. We tested the item exstensively on one of our bikes, and it performed perfectly. Of course it can be made for less money than we ask for it, which is true with just about everything you ever buy, but many people neither have the time, skill, or inclination to try and source the components and make one, which is why we have sold these all over the world, and at the end of the day, they are cheaper than OEM.
Keeping old 2 strokes alive !
rbond
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Titan Performance

Post by rbond »

OK, I stand corrected. I tried to get into a OEM CDI, was not succesful. Those things were WELL potted with gunk. With only 9 common parts, it would not take too much to reverse engineer these things. Yes, your unit is cheaper than OEM by a good amount and should be targeted by those incapable to build one themselves or no access to someone to do it for them. So that being said, I thank you for providing another part for our older bikes, and wish you luck and good profits in this and other endevours in the future.
two-stroke-brit
Novice racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: gt750

Re: Titan Performance

Post by two-stroke-brit »

rbond wrote:OK, I stand corrected. I tried to get into a OEM CDI, was not succesful. Those things were WELL potted with gunk. With only 9 common parts, it would not take too much to reverse engineer these things. Yes, your unit is cheaper than OEM by a good amount and should be targeted by those incapable to build one themselves or no access to someone to do it for them. So that being said, I thank you for providing another part for our older bikes, and wish you luck and good profits in this and other endevours in the future.
rbond :up: :up:
youda man.
She will never be pretty but hoping she will be a fun ride.

1973 SUZUKI GT750K.=SOLD
yamaha speedtwinn 100 barn find =SOLD
1x 1973 kawasaki H1 (restored)
1x 1973 kawasaki H1 (basket case) =SOLD
1982 HONDA CB900F =SOLD
1982 YAMAHA RD350LC.
1985 RZ350N
rbond
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by rbond »

Just a very minor update pertaining to the battery. This one (it came on the bike when I bought it) is now 7 years old and still working good. Decent maintenance and a somewhat properly charging system make a difference. Also the rubber mat it sits on probably helps too. I need to check the brand to see if I can get another one!
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

It's an old thread and I have no idea if Titan Performance is still around, but I found a replacement GT500 CDi at Rex's Speed Shop. They rebuilt a Yamaha TZ350 Hitachi CDI for me and did a great job.

https://www.rexs-speedshop.com/product/ ... -cdi-unit/

They also offer replacement charge coils if anyone needs them.