Newtronic Ignition issues T350

All to do with wiring, charging or just trying to figure out whats gone wrong.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

joethebike
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suzuki T20-250-350-500

Newtronic Ignition issues T350

Post by joethebike »

Contacted Mororcycle-Ignition.com as the seller of Newtronic call themselves about the instructions for fitting their system to my T350 and was told if you can fit points it should be a piece of cake.
What arrived was a kit for a GT 250 but that should have been ok for the T350 and my order specified it would be fitted to the 350.
However, the light lamps would not fit the alternator casing without some careful filing then I found there were no screw slots for the right side lamp to match with the old polnts screws.
The fitting instructions required removal of the alternator stator to extract the old points cam, then refitting the stator housing and inserting the new timing fin cam into the crank slot. Unfortunately the Newtronic fin cam is the same diameter as the old points cam so it cannot be fitted through the alternator housing and requires removal of the alternator housing again.
Not a big job but not good for confidence in the fitting instructions.
After turning attention attention to the wiring instructions it called for fitting four orange connectors supplied but there were only 3 in the kit.
Finally a 3 pin plug supposed to be orange, white, black were yellow, white, black but when connected to the matching plug from the switching unit with the same colours, the wire colours did not match up when connected.
Perhaps I could have puzzled out positioning the timing lights by cutting suitable slots in the support brackets and worked out the wiring but with the warnings about shorting out the system by incorrect wiring I elected to go back to the points for which I have plenty of spares and have worked ok through 170,000km and the 2 Castrol 6 Hour races.
On the plus side my payment was promptly refunded.
1972 Suzuki T350 160,000km +2 Castrol 6 Hour races
1982 Honda CX500 EC 272,700km
2005 Suzuki DL650 145,000km
joolstacho
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: AS50, GS500, GT500, ex GSXR750 slabbie

Re: Newtronic Ignition issues T350

Post by joolstacho »

Well... If anyone can sort this one out its YOU Joe!
Disappointing though as you say.
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Re: Newtronic Ignition issues T350

Post by jabcb »

Have Newtronic ignition on a GT750.
Used Accent ignition on the GT550 cafe build. It doesn’t have an external control box, which makes for an easier & cleaner install.

The Sparcon ignition looks like it might be a good choice for the T500/T250/T350/GT250.
Dwell angle is potentially an issue on the twins because of alternator load, but Sparcon said it’s roughly the same as stock points (about 180 degrees).

viewtopic.php?t=14970
https://webshop.knalnaarpotz.nl/t250-t5 ... ition.html
https://sparcon.nl/product/suzuki-t250- ... eking-set/

Figuring out how to install the Sparcon might be a bit of a challenge because of the instructions. If anyone installed them, please make a new topic about it.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE