GT550 coils, replace or repair?

All to do with wiring, charging or just trying to figure out whats gone wrong.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Kevgt550
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1977 GT550

GT550 coils, replace or repair?

Post by Kevgt550 »

Hi all,
- 1977 GT550 in the US -
I am diagnosing a misfiring cylinder from the end of last summer, as I just got around to it.
I took off the ignition coils to test (cream colored, Denso coils I think) and got about 4 ohms for all three coils for the primary. I went to do the secondary test and got about 18 k Ohms on the left AND right coils, while I got 8 k Ohms on the middle coil which I believe is the expected value. Weirdly enough, I at first could not get any resistance from the right side coil, and then got 18k once i took them off, yet it was not the cylinder which was misfiring or really having any issues. That was the left one which I am diagnosing.
So I have reason to believe that these very old coils need work or replacement, unfortunately it appears that every coil replacement previously discussed in this forum is no longer being sold as far as I can tell. ( Rex Caunt racing, HVCcycle )
So I am considering either some coils like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/273563358418?m ... media=COPY
Or replacing the wires and hoping I can get it right and they work. I did a bit of research on this and think I could do it but would prefer to just do all new if I could.
I'd like to know if anyone has run an alternative coil that is somewhat plug and play, and is still available, or if anyone has any info to share.
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Re: GT550 coils, replace or repair?

Post by jabcb »

Lots of people are selling coils that look similar to the ones you linked.
You linked branded coils made in Taiwan, which are likely one of the better choices.

Rex’s Speed Shop in the UK has coils. A good bit more expensive.
https://www.rexs-speedshop.com/product/ ... 550-gt750/
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
Kevgt550
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1977 GT550

Re: GT550 coils, replace or repair?

Post by Kevgt550 »

jabcb wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 7:12 am Lots of people are selling coils that look similar to the ones you linked.
You linked branded coils made in Taiwan, which are likely one of the better choices.

Rex’s Speed Shop in the UK has coils. A good bit more expensive.
https://www.rexs-speedshop.com/product/ ... 550-gt750/
Wow not sure how i didn’t come across Rex’s speed shop. Though you are right, they are selling a similar product for much more, so i may go with the other one.
Thanks!