Electric Start not Working on GT750 After New Voltage Regulator Install

All to do with wiring, charging or just trying to figure out whats gone wrong.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

joandon@telus.net
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1972 GT750J

Electric Start not Working on GT750 After New Voltage Regulator Install

Post by joandon@telus.net »

I ordered a rectifier and a voltage regulator from Oregon Motorcycle Parts for my 1972 Suzuki GT750.

Simple, easy installation. I disconnected the battery and uninstalled the original one that came with the bike.
The bolt holes lined up perfectly and the connector was identical with the Suzuki one, with the colored wires in the same positions.

I reconnected the battery and tried the electric start. It would not engage. Didn’t even try.

I disconnected the battery, removed the new one and reinstalled the old one. Electric start started the bike immediately.

Anyone else have this experience? Any advice would be welcome...
karl pa
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT

Re: Electric Start not Working on GT750 After New Voltage Regulator Install

Post by karl pa »

When you have the new unit in and hooked up, do you have turn signals and other lights/horn ?
Looking at wiring diagram for GT750, the only thing I see that would stop the starter motor from working is a short in new unit that is pulling the voltage down on the hole system.
I thought it would blow the fuse if that was the case, but looking at the drawing, the red wire between the rectifier and battery has no fuse protection, so if the rectifier has a short internally, it could draw the voltage down on the electrical system without blowing the fuse.
If that is the case, be very careful you don't let the smoke out of the wire harness :!:
76 GT185
77 GT250
77 GT380
76 GT500
73 GT550
73 GT750
74 GT750
71 T250 scrambler
75 T500 cafe
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Re: Electric Start not Working on GT750 After New Voltage Regulator Install

Post by Alan H »

Similar subject here -

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=8996
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.