Where do I buy spark plug caps etc?

All to do with wiring, charging or just trying to figure out whats gone wrong.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

GT500-2stroke
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT100, GT500

Post by GT500-2stroke »

I may decide to buy spark plug caps.

This is for GT500 ( 1975, I think )

How do find out the year of bike BTW?
Seller said in ad that it was 1975, so that is what I am going with for now.

Thanks.
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: suzuki gt 550j

Re: Where do I buy spark plug caps etc?

Post by GTandcbr »

Use engine and frame number. Here you go
http://www.ozebook.com/compendium/suzi/ ... engnos.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
98 carb Blackbird and GT550j
GT500-2stroke
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT100, GT500

Post by GT500-2stroke »

GTandcbr wrote:Use engine and frame number. Here you go
http://www.ozebook.com/compendium/suzi/ ... engnos.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks.

I could not find GT500 in the this list.
What did I miss?
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Post by jabcb »

Last model year for the T500 was 1975. The GT500 was sold for the 1976 & 1977 model years.
You may have a 1976 GT500 that was manufactured in late 1975.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
dorT500
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: '75 T500M since '93 Ridden it over 100,000 mi

Post by dorT500 »

GT500-2stroke wrote:I may decide to buy spark plug caps. Where do I buy spark plug caps etc?
How many miles on the engine? Chances are the spark plug caps are still good and the problem is elsewhere but they can go bad......small crack allowing a spark to leak or a toasted resistor inside. They are inexpensive so you might as well replace them. If these are the stock caps we are talking about, you can take the cap apart and check out the resistor. If you do, just be sure and note every part that comes out and the order in which they were. I have seen resistors that were ever so slightly toasted but never personally seen a fried one.....though I did see a pic of one once.

This is what I did. For the NGK brand B7HS (5510) spark plugs on my '75 T500, I just took the NGK part number I came up with after using the NGK chart below and gave it to O'Reilly Auto Parts ( or any auto parts supply that carries NGK line)and they ordered them for me. Got them in a few days....no shipping charge and less expensive I believe then buying them online. I happened to choose the 'special water-proof cover' (P) so the part number would be LBO5FP (8030)

NGK also makes red ones if you would like those. Contact NGK or just google 'red NGK spark plug caps' :) for sources.

Installed on my T500...

Last edited by dorT500 on Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dorT500
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: '75 T500M since '93 Ridden it over 100,000 mi

Post by dorT500 »

GT500-2stroke wrote:
This is for GT500 ( 1975, I think ).......How do find out the year of bike BTW?
Seller said in ad that it was 1975, so that is what I am going with for now.....
Yep, no 1975 GT500.....as mentioned before it may have been manufactured in the second half of 1975.....that would make it a 1976. Look at stamped number or vin tag if still ther on the neck of the frame...rightside.

Previous owner missspoke or no title for this bike.?.... if title exists , what's on the paperwork?

Gots pics of the bike?
DaytonDave
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1968 T500

Post by DaytonDave »

How do you take a cap apart to check the resistor value without destroying the cap? Thanks for the chart - it's helpful.
Thanks
DaytonDave

dorT500 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:41 pm
GT500-2stroke wrote:I may decide to buy spark plug caps. Where do I buy spark plug caps etc?
How many miles on the engine? Chances are the spark plug caps are still good and the problem is elsewhere but they can go bad......small crack allowing a spark to leak or a toasted resistor inside. They are inexpensive so you might as well replace them. If these are the stock caps we are talking about, you can take the cap apart and check out the resistor. If you do, just be sure and note every part that comes out and the order in which they were. I have seen resistors that were ever so slightly toasted but never personally seen a fried one.....though I did see a pic of one once.

This is what I did. For the NGK brand B7HS (5510) spark plugs on my '75 T500, I just took the NGK part number I came up with after using the NGK chart below and gave it to O'Reilly Auto Parts ( or any auto parts supply that carries NGK line)and they ordered them for me. Got them in a few days....no shipping charge and less expensive I believe then buying them online. I happened to choose the 'special water-proof cover' (P) so the part number would be LBO5FP (8030)

NGK also makes red ones if you would like those. Contact NGK or just google 'red NGK spark plug caps' :) for sources.

Installed on my T500...

Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

unless you have electronic ignition, make sure you fit plug caps without a resistor in for a better spark.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.