headlamp source for 73 GT250

All to do with wiring, charging or just trying to figure out whats gone wrong.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

gt250gcl
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT250

headlamp source for 73 GT250

Post by gt250gcl »

Sorry to rehash what is probably an old topic, but I need a NOS or equivalent headlamp for a 73 Suzuki GT250. I want to stay original and I'm not looking to update to a newer lamp type, so I know I'm probably stuck buying a NOS for a price that will floor me. I can live with that, but I just have trouble buying it off of e-bay or craigslist from someone I know nothing about. I don't want to pay $150 and find it doesn't work properly when it gets here and then have a hassle trying to get a refund. Are there any good used parts suppliers or dealers in Canada or the US that I could deal with instead? Baring that, are there any trusted e-bay vendors anyone can suggest that I can contact. I see a vendor listed as jduke 17 (Elk River MInnesota) with one advertised as NOS on e-bay for $150 US plus about $40 shipping. It looks to be the right type with the correct mounting brackets on the backside. Anyone have any experience ordering through him? Any suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Glenn
Stev-o
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: '72 TS250, '66 X6 Hustler Plus Plus Plus

Re: headlamp source for 73 GT250

Post by Stev-o »

I dont know eBay seller jduke, but he does accepts returns as stated on his listing.

eBay protects the buyer so I would feel confident buying from him and if you dont want it for any reason, you just return it and would just be out the shipping charge.

Since that lamp is NLA, you have very few options, but here are a couple in this old thread...

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=6447" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Post by jabcb »

How much of the headlight assembly do you need?
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
gt250gcl
Still in the Driveway

Post by gt250gcl »

Thanks for the advice on using e-Bay stev-o. I'm old enough to say I've never bought anything on e-Bay (yeah, my kids laugh at me too) but it seems to be the only way to go these days so I guess I'll have to give it a shot. I'll see if there is any room for negotiation on the price first. $200 Canadian is gonna hurt.

Jacbc, I need the headlight itself mostly. My original one only functions on low beam and I don't want to make changes to the original as my ultimate goal is to get collector plates on the bike. I do need the chrome bezel ring as well but they seem to be easier to come by and it is a lower priority. Do you have any 250GT parts for sale? I've got some other things I need to get fixed and finding a good source for them would be a good thing.

I've added a photo of my bike. My dad initially got it in '75, I rode it for about 5 years and then it sat in his garage for about 30 years before I got it running again. Its in pretty good shape and runs well in spite of that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Post by jabcb »

Your bike looks like a sweet original. Congrats on having kept it so nice for all these years. :up:

Collector/vintage plates in the US allows for a good bit of deviation from stock. The DOT staff deciding if your bike qualifies are not experts. Here in Pennsylvania, DOT has even stopped requiring pictures presumably because the staff didn’t find them useful.

If you check out other bikes with vintage plates you’ll see some variations. Modern tires are really important. The stock GT250 tires weren’t that good back in 1973 & they are now hardened by 40+ years of aging. Modern shocks that look similar to stock are popular. I see you’ve changed the front brake hose, which is OK too.

Its a bit different if you are entering shows where the bike will be judged on a points scale. You could, for example, loose points for that modern front brake hose.

Your bike may start & run OK without a battery, but doing that will burn out all of the lights! (I inadvertently did that to a T350 & burned the lights out in a few seconds.)
Your bike doesn’t have a voltage regulator. It uses the battery as a voltage regulator. So you need a good battery. The headlight will last longer if you upgrade to a modern voltage regulator/rectifier. A rectifier/regulator is around $50 & require some custom wiring.

$200 for a NOS GT250 is totally silly money. They show up from time to time on eBay for around $50 to $80 US.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
gt250gcl
Still in the Driveway

Post by gt250gcl »

Thanks jabcb. Maybe I'll wait a while and see if a better deal shows up on E-Bay for a NOS headlamp before going for it. i will check out the voltage regulator though.

i have had the bike gone over pretty well since bringing it out here from home. I've had the carburetor cleaned up, the master cylinder rebuilt, the front brakes replaced, the battery replaced, the shocks replaced, the bearings in the steering fork replaced, a new stopcock installed, signal lights replaced, the seat re-upholstered and new tires installed. I had the mechanic ride it to see if he thought anything else needed to be done and he though it ran well as is.

They are pretty tough in allowing collectors plates here ( i've been through it with my mustang and C10) but they may allow an upgrade to the lights since it is a safety issue. I won't ride it much other than Sunday morning coffee trips so an NOS lamp is good enough however and i like the idea of it still being original so i'll spend a bit more time looking for one and if I can't find it I may have to switch. We'll see.

Thanks again for the advice.
gt250gcl
Still in the Driveway

Post by gt250gcl »

to update, I was finally able to find a NOS headlamp at a cycle shop in Alberta for a fair price. With it, along with assorted other parts I got through Everett Powersports and a paint job for the tank, covers and headlamp bucket, I was able to get my collector plates. So, i guess you were right, have patience and just keep looking and you can likely find what you need. Now I'm on the lookout for a NOS front fender.

Here is a photo of it today.

Thanks for your help and comments.

Glenn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.