Suzuki2Strokes.com

Sundial Moto Sports

Suzuki Two-Stroke Message Board
Suzuki2Strokes.com
It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Headlight bowl wiring
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:19 am 
Offline
To the on ramp

Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:28 am
Posts: 254
Location: Lebanon
Country: Lebanon
Bikes owned: gsx 750R, GPZ 750, GT380
Hi all
I did it again. Bugger. Took the headlight bowel off to have polished and thought 'how hard can it be putting all the wiring blocks together?'

I think its just the indicators which i can't figure out. If anyone can help, please look caregully at the pic and let me know how to hook up the remaing cables.

thanks


MJ in Beirut


Attachments:
DSC_0079B.jpg
DSC_0079B.jpg [ 295.88 KiB | Viewed 4922 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:13 pm 
Offline
Moto GP
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:32 pm
Posts: 3276
Location: southwestern Pennsylvania
Country: USA
Bikes owned: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750
Here is the wiring diagram:
Image

B/W (black with white stripe) is the ground. Looks like you have 3 of them to connect together.

The white + green connector is for the right handlebar control.
The O (orange) & O/W (orange with white stripe) are for the engine kill switch.
The Y/G (yellow with green stripe) is for the electric start. That’s a wire used on the GT550 but not the GT380.

That end of the Y/G wire looks dangerous & may cause a short at some time — you should tape that off.

The G (green) & O (orange) that are not connected are probably for the horn. You don’t have a stock horn & I don’t see the wires they should connect to.

_________________
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 project & 75
GT380 72
T500 73 project
T350 69, 71 & 72 project
T250 72
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:37 pm 
Offline
To the on ramp

Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:28 am
Posts: 254
Location: Lebanon
Country: Lebanon
Bikes owned: gsx 750R, GPZ 750, GT380
thanks for that. So, just to be clear

All three of the earth cables should be connected to one another?

THe white and green connector is for the (left) handlebar control surely, for all the lights and indicator?

That leaves me with still a couple of loose cables. Are those remainers nothing to do with the indicators?


thanks


MJ


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:41 pm 
Offline
Moto GP
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:32 pm
Posts: 3276
Location: southwestern Pennsylvania
Country: USA
Bikes owned: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750
What are the wire colors for all of your loose wires?

Two of the B/W wires have male connectors. The other B/W wire should have a double female connector. These 3 earth wires get connected together.

For the white + green connector, the white side should be this:
Image

_________________
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 project & 75
GT380 72
T500 73 project
T350 69, 71 & 72 project
T250 72
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:42 am 
Offline
To the on ramp

Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:28 am
Posts: 254
Location: Lebanon
Country: Lebanon
Bikes owned: gsx 750R, GPZ 750, GT380
jabcb wrote:
What are the wire colors for all of your loose wires?

Two of the B/W wires have male connectors. The other B/W wire should have a double female connector. These 3 earth wires get connected together.

For the white + green connector, the white side should be this:
Image



thanks. BUt im still stuck. I have two black wires coming from each ofh the front indicators and have no idea where they go. Or do they just earth? I have the feeling that they take power to the indicators, yes/? And that the earth for the indicators is the unit itself which earths to the sides of the headlamp holders?
thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:57 am 
Offline
Moto GP
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:32 pm
Posts: 3276
Location: southwestern Pennsylvania
Country: USA
Bikes owned: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750
The turn signals have only one wire, which is not color coded.
The turn signals are grounded by the mounting post.
The turn signal hot wire is B (black) with a male connector.

Two B/W (black with white stripe) wires with male connectors are attached to the headlight bucket mounting bolts.
Those are the grounds. They should connect to another B/W wire that has a double female connector.

The right turn signal B wire connects to a Lg (light green) wire.
The left turn signal B wire connects to a B (black) wire.

That leaves two unused wires that I can see.
One is the Y/G wire that is not used on the GT380. Make sure to cover that wire end with tape to prevent a future short.
The other is the orange wire near the bottom of your pic.

I see several orange wires connected together with a white twist-on wire connector. That connector is not stock.

I do not know where the other unused wire goes.
Test everything after you get the other wires connected & let us know the results.

_________________
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 project & 75
GT380 72
T500 73 project
T350 69, 71 & 72 project
T250 72
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:53 am 
Offline
To the on ramp

Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:28 am
Posts: 254
Location: Lebanon
Country: Lebanon
Bikes owned: gsx 750R, GPZ 750, GT380
jabcb wrote:
The turn signals have only one wire, which is not color coded.
The turn signals are grounded by the mounting post.
The turn signal hot wire is B (black) with a male connector.

Two B/W (black with white stripe) wires with male connectors are attached to the headlight bucket mounting bolts.
Those are the grounds. They should connect to another B/W wire that has a double female connector.

The right turn signal B wire connects to a Lg (light green) wire.
The left turn signal B wire connects to a B (black) wire.

That leaves two unused wires that I can see.
One is the Y/G wire that is not used on the GT380. Make sure to cover that wire end with tape to prevent a future short.
The other is the orange wire near the bottom of your pic.

I see several orange wires connected together with a white twist-on wire connector. That connector is not stock.

I do not know where the other unused wire goes.
Test everything after you get the other wires connected & let us know the results.




Still confused so thought i would post a second picture, all i have managed to establish is that the horn is already working, regardless of the plate of spaghetti which is before us.
if it helps, i have three cables which i have no clue what they do (which are clearer in this pic) - red, green and brown. The orange is live when the ignition is switched on. If you also look v carefully at the top right hand corner of the picture you will see two cables (one ref and the second black which go straight to the clocks - could they be for the rev counter?)

I'm baffled by the indicators though even after following your instruction. It might be that i'm just thick, but thanks for your patience anyway

MJ in Beirut


Attachments:
DSC_0086small.jpg
DSC_0086small.jpg [ 277.68 KiB | Viewed 4858 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:11 am 
Offline
Moto GP
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:47 am
Posts: 6007
Location: Illinois
If the indicators have two wires, one is ground and connects to the various other Black/White cables. The power side of the indicators connect to the solid black and the light green leads with female connectors. The leads on the indicators themselves are usually both black (so they could be used on either side of the bike. Light green is the right indicator and Black is the left one (not to the tacho).

Gray leads are instrument lighting.

Brown is empty but would go to a parking lamp if you had one in the headlight.

Red is only used in a stock harness to carry battery power to the main switch. Is there power to that lead and if so with ignition on or off or?

Solid/Dark Green is not used in a 380- unless it's light green in which case, it's the indicator.

There should be a second black and second light green that connect to either side of the indicator idiot light. If you fit LED indicators, you need to cut into those and fit diodes, but that's another story.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:25 pm 
Offline
To the on ramp

Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:28 am
Posts: 254
Location: Lebanon
Country: Lebanon
Bikes owned: gsx 750R, GPZ 750, GT380
tz375 wrote:
If the indicators have two wires, one is ground and connects to the various other Black/White cables. The power side of the indicators connect to the solid black and the light green leads with female connectors. The leads on the indicators themselves are usually both black (so they could be used on either side of the bike. Light green is the right indicator and Black is the left one (not to the tacho).

Gray leads are instrument lighting.

Brown is empty but would go to a parking lamp if you had one in the headlight.

Red is only used in a stock harness to carry battery power to the main switch. Is there power to that lead and if so with ignition on or off or?

Solid/Dark Green is not used in a 380- unless it's light green in which case, it's the indicator.

There should be a second black and second light green that connect to either side of the indicator idiot light. If you fit LED indicators, you need to cut into those and fit diodes, but that's another story.



What about those two skinny cables in the top right corner? Are they for the rev counter?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:29 pm 
Offline
Moto GP
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:47 am
Posts: 6007
Location: Illinois
Rev counter should have a light in it with two leads. Gray and black/white IIRC.

Those skinny leads do not look stock/oem. I would physically follow them back and see what they are connected to. Did domeone fit any non standard lights or instruments such as an electronic tacho for example? If not, there is no obvious reason for those two wires. As I said, I'd trace them back and see where they are connected. It's possible that they aren't connected to anything, but trace them anyway.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:50 pm 
Offline
To the on ramp

Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:28 am
Posts: 254
Location: Lebanon
Country: Lebanon
Bikes owned: gsx 750R, GPZ 750, GT380
tz375 wrote:
Rev counter should have a light in it with two leads. Gray and black/white IIRC.

Those skinny leads do not look stock/oem. I would physically follow them back and see what they are connected to. Did domeone fit any non standard lights or instruments such as an electronic tacho for example? If not, there is no obvious reason for those two wires. As I said, I'd trace them back and see where they are connected. It's possible that they aren't connected to anything, but trace them anyway.


they go back into the instrument cluster and so im guessing (hoping) that they are for an electronic tachometer as i can't remember ever seeing the original cable going in

But where/how would they be connected?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:42 am 
Offline
Moto GP
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:32 pm
Posts: 3276
Location: southwestern Pennsylvania
Country: USA
Bikes owned: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750
Electrical problems that are easy to figure out in person can be quite difficult to resolve via an online forum. That’s especially true when the wiring has been modified a bit.

Looks like you have two twist-on connectors that aren’t stock. Plus some thin wires that tz375 noticed. And some wires without connectors. And more female connectors than male connectors.

It likely will take lots of pics to sleuth out the solution. For a start, pics of the top & bottom of the instruements & pics of the connectors showing both sides.

_________________
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 project & 75
GT380 72
T500 73 project
T350 69, 71 & 72 project
T250 72
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:13 am 
Offline
To the on ramp

Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:28 am
Posts: 254
Location: Lebanon
Country: Lebanon
Bikes owned: gsx 750R, GPZ 750, GT380
In fact, i have fixed both the front indicators - based on the posts by kind members - but have now discovered that i have no spark.

Please have a look at the picture which i have posted here. I repositioned some plugs for the purpose of the pic. THere are three sockets hanging free.

Also, I would like to know if the engine can run if the kill switch connector is NOT connected. Please answer this just for my peace of mind.

thanks for all advice and patience


MJ in Beirut


Attachments:
DSC_0092small.jpg
DSC_0092small.jpg [ 181.72 KiB | Viewed 4798 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:56 am 
Offline
Moto GP
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:47 am
Posts: 6007
Location: Illinois
No. Don't think of it as a "kill" switch like those fitted to many two strokes. Those ground out the ignition to kill it.

On a GT, the switch is a simple on-off as you can see in the wiring diagram. It must be clean and fitted for the bike to run.

Back to those wires. Is there an electronic tacho fitted at the moment? If so I would be tempted to remove it and any wires left over. Typically a tacho will have three wires: 12v switched power, ground and a pulse lead.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:35 pm 
Offline
To the on ramp

Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:28 am
Posts: 254
Location: Lebanon
Country: Lebanon
Bikes owned: gsx 750R, GPZ 750, GT380
ok, but which one is the 'kill switch' socket supposed to connect to?

Any help appreciated.


Last edited by Ramjam on Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Sundial Moto Sports forum © by Eric F. Kalamaja
Suzuki2Strokes.com